1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

FAO: Jubilee

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Irisblue, Aug 30, 2011.

  1. I hope you don't mind me asking for your help directly, Jubilee. I know you are an expert in matters relating to the job centre and supply teachers from posts that I've read on here in the past. I'd be very grateful if you could offer some advice if you don't mind, please.
    I am a supply teacher and am currently pregnant. Because of my situation, I will need to finish work around 28 weeks.
    I know I should be able to claim Maternity Allowance - preferably after the birth - but was wondering if there was another benefit I can claim in the interim? I don't think I can claim Jobseekers as I won't be actually 'jobseeking but I'm unsure if there is anything else such as income support that I'm entitled to.
    I've never relied on the benefits system in the past but feel that now, for the first time, I could do with a little help. Also, is there any way in which I'll be able to claim the Maternity Grant?
    I'd be really grateful for your help if you'd be kind enough. Many thanks Iris x
  2. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Maternity issues were not really my area of expertise but check out the following:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018869 This is for Maternity Allowance that is paid to those who can't get maternity pay from an employer and who meet certain previous employment weeks.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/YourMoney/DG_4003046 This is about getting the £500 maternity grant if your household is ona low income.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018708 About how you qualify for Income Support

    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_185670 How to claim Income Support

  3. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    If you're in a Union, you may also be able to access their Hardship Fund if you don't qualify for Income Support. I.S would be reduced £ for £ if you received Hardship Fund monies at the same time as claiming the benefit.
  4. Thanks, Jubilee. That is brilliant - I'll save the links and check them all out. I hadn't thought about the union so that is another avenue to explore. Many Thanks


Share This Page