1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice

FAO Jubilee. Ingredients for a tax refund.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Ostpreussen, Nov 29, 2011.

  1. Hi Jubilee,
    Have been busy getting together all my bits and bobs for a tax refund and now have details for the following for the past 6 tax years. Have rang the tax office and they said I just need to write a letter saying I would like a refund and enclose the following info.

    1.) GTC payments
    2.) NASUWT subscriptions
    3.) Payments to CIOL.
    4.) Payments to ALL
    5.) JSA payments (although for some reason they could not go back for the past 6 years)

    Have never had a tax refund before; is there anything I have missed?
    Should I also write a list of the agencies I have been with for the last few years although I am not sure of who I was with as I used to be with up to 5 in a year.
    Would really appreciate your advice.

  2. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You will also need the gross taxable pay received from employers in each tax year (found on the P60 they sent you after the end of the tax year OR the P45 they sent you if you left during the tax year). The Gross taxable pay may be less than the gross pay earned if you paid into a pensin with the employer or received travel expenses etc.
    You should also mention any savings interest you received (gross and tax paid on the interest included or gross interest only if you filled in a form with the bank stating you were a non-taxpayer.)
    What is CIOL and ALL?
    If you had to pay for any CRBs and weren't reimbursed by the agency at any point, include those payments as they will be tax deductible. You could not work without that expense being incurred, so it's a professional cost for tax relief purposes.
    Include your NI number and any payroll/employee numbers as well as the employer Tax ref number if you still have your P60s.
    Include your bank sort code and account number and your name as filed with your bank. Ask for any rebate to be paid into your account. If you don't, they'll just increase your tax code for the coming year and you'll get the rebate back in reduced tax each month IF you get work.

  3. Hi Jubilee,
    Thank you for the detailed reply. It is good to have someone on the forum in the know.
    Not sure I have all of the P45s/ P60s off various agencies - could I write to them and ask them for payment details? Also, one of the agencies - Teachers Workline went under some years ago.
    Yes, paid for all of the CRBs with various agencies I have been with and never had this money back.
    Trouble is, have been with so many different agencies over the years. Would the tax office have details of these?

    CIOL- Chartered Institute of Linguists.
    ALL- Association of Language Learners
  4. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Don't waste time at present contacting apst employers for documents.
    Get your application into the Inland revenue as there's a January cut-off for the earliest possible year for claiming a rebate.
    Mention the employer details (LA, agency etc) in the relevant tax years and the tax people should have records of your tax status at the time. If they need extra information, you will have gained some time to get it knowing that your claim is dated.in the tax system.
    For CRB costs incurred, maybe trawl through past bank or credit card statements to find the amounts spent in each tax year. You don't get the fees back; tax relief means getting back the tax that you paid on that money so, assuming a 20% tax liability int he tax year, you get back £2 on every £10 spent on CRB, Union fees, GTC fees etc.
    It all adds up when backclaiming for several years and, for the trouble of collating the letter, is worth the effort.
    I keep wage slips, P45s, P60s , bank statements and credit card statements for 6 years.
    Finally let them know what costs you will incur from 6th April 2011 to 5th April 2012 and they will adjust your tax code so that you don't pay tax on those expenses in the first place. Then each tax year let them know about any changes in fees incurred.
    I don't know if they will approve the fees for CIOL and ALL as they might argue that they are not wholly and essentially necessary for your to do your job (Union mem bership is a special case) but give it a go and let us know what happens.
  5. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Every tax year runs from 6th April to 5th April and it's what you spend on professional fees and subscriptions between those dates that deciddes what tax rebate you are due for each tax year.
    As we are now mid-way in the 2011/12 tax year, you can let the Inland Revenue know your GTC costs, Union fees and any CRB incurred to date and for the current tax year they don't send you a rebate .... they increase your tax code. the bigger the tax code, the less tax they deduct in the first place.
    If you don't earn above your tax code allowance (the amount your can earn tax free in a tax year) tax relief is irrelevant but if you have earned money before signing on and that,together with your JSA and any future earnings before 5th April 2012, exceeds your tax allowance (currently around £7475 minimum per year) the increased tax code will reduce the tax that is deducted during the tax year.
    For most people that means that they are square with the tax people every year under PAYE (AS LONG AS THEY KEEP THEM updated with changing fees incurred) but for those who have several employers it is very possible to have overpaid tax on earnings with one or more employers and thos workers should conatct the IR every year once they have all their P60s and P45s and JSA potentially taxable totals to hand + the GTC/Union and CRB information. The tax people will do an assessment to work out if too much tax was deducted.
    I'm on supply and have two employers (very little work) + a rental property so I have to fill out atax form every year anyway and now owe them money on the profits from the rental business. prior to making a profit on the latter, I'd be getting money back based on at least one employer over-taxing me.
    You don't need a Tax return form necessarily. They will accept a letter detailing everything.
    It's also possibe to make an appointment at any tax office and take along all your information and they'll help you to collate the information (no charge). Don't use any of the private tax rebate companies that advertise in the Union magazines. they take a significant cut of any rebate.
  6. magic surf bus

    magic surf bus Star commenter

    The last time I realised a rebate was due I rang HMRC and asked for a Tax Review for the last two tax years. They didn't ask for any documentation, and the cheque turned up a few weeks later. However all my earnings are taxed on PAYE.

    I would second the comments about not using those third party companies that take a cut. There's simply no need.

    I've now got a situation where I've known for two months that I've overpaid a few hundred in tax, but neither HMRC or the LEA will cough up until April 2012. This is apparently due to the LEA's payroll accounting system which seems to deduct too much tax early in the year then corrects it as April approaches. Not especially fair or useful if you're only employed by them for the first part of the tax year. My chances of any future payslips from them are very limited as I'm now agency paid.
  7. If I subscribe to educational websites e.g. Hamilton Trust etc., can I claim that as an expense on my self-assessment form?
  8. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You could try but the likelihood is that it would be refused.
    It usually has to be an expense that you have to incur in order to do your job and for most teachers they would say that providing resources and specialist publications should be supplied by the employer if the job can't be done without them.
    You also have to establish that the membership/item is 'wholly and exclusively' for work purposes which would veto being able to claim for your home PC/laptop, for instance, even if you use it for work purposes too.
    A self-employed tutor might be able to argue that certain publications /memberships are necessary to keep them 'in the loop' as they don't have access to workplace training and resources.
    A PE teacher could tax relief on the cost of specialist clothing and footwear that is only worn at work. Even Primary teachers who keep a basic trainers/PE kit at school (taking it home to launder it and taking it straight back to work) could make a case for getting tax back on the purchase costs of the items (keeping receipts would be useful).

  9. Hi Jubilee, Thank you so much for the advice.
    I cannot believe my luck, but got home and found a letter from the Inland Revenue (Pay as you Go place/ Liverpool) and they are refunding me 2 years of tax! That was without me putting in for it, but they said I had not had my personal threshold! They had requested JSA details some weeks ago..
    It is a handsome sum and will pay for my dog's op!![​IMG] and mean a decent Christmas!
    Will be sending the rest of the docs off and asking fro the other 4 years this week.
    Cannot thank you enough for all your support, help and advice!!!

  10. crusell

    crusell New commenter

    If you're on jsa you can go to he pdsa for your dog.
  11. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    True but only if you're getting Income Based JSA. They probably don't offer the service to those pet owners who only get Contributory JSA.

Share This Page