1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FAO James - NQTs and QTS

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Moony, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Right, long story short I'm having a bit of an exchange on a thread on the supply board about QTS. I have a cover supervisor trying to tell me that NQT's don't really have QTS. Now I know from having done the double hoop jumping myself thatinduction is needed to be fully fully qualified, but could you confirmmy assertion that actually at the end of a PGCE/GTP/SCITT that a person is fully qualified with QTS?

If anyone wants to have a nosey the thread is here: http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/463641/7255992.aspx#7255992

And if any of the NQTs reading this are stressed out at the moment remember you are about half way through the year so you've not got long to go! Have some well earnt chocolate and wine!! (Or other naughty treat of your choosing ;) )

2. I did my PGCE last year and have successfully got a QTS certificate from the GTC so I've got QTS, even is no other NQT has!

(Am happy to provide certificate as proof)!

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Induction is more of a confirmation of your QTS. If you didn't have QTS you wouldn't be paid as a qualified teacher (on the MPS).
    I received a certificate with Qualified Teacher Status on it after completing the PGCE, so your Cover Supervisor poster is...wrong.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You get QTS when you pass a PGCE or other ITT route + the Skills Tests.
    The QTS is your for life, even if you fail Induction.
    Induction is a 'test' of you continuing to meet the Core standards in the State 5-16 sector.
    It is arbitrary, in my opinion, and there is no level playing field as some schools operate Induction 'lite' and others are rather intense. Some NQTs have supportive mentors and others have incompetent mentors. An NQT could sail through Induction at one type of school and struggle in another. Many who pass would struggle in certain challenging schools.
    Those who fail Induction are barred from teaching in the State 5-16 sector ever again but can teach in the State Under 5s and the Post 16 sectors, as well as in any age range of the private sector.
    QTS is a qualification gained before starting Induction and , like your A levels and degree, it cannot be taken away because a later 'test' declares you not be meeting all the standards that you previously demonstrated.

5. If, at the end of your training you meet all the standards for QTS your provider recommends you for QTS. At presenbt (until April) QTS is conferred by the General Teaching Council and you are placed on the register of people with QTS. A condition of registration is that you then undertake induction should you wish to work in state schools (including academies). All the time, as a NQT, you have QTS. If you pass induction then the register is updated to reflect that and there are, as a consequence, no restrictions on where you can work and be paid as a qualifie teacher. Even if you fail induction, you still keep QTS - it is not removed, you are just restricted in the work that you can undertake - that is not in a state schol or academy. You are still able to teach in private schols and free schools, even if you fail induct.ion (though the chances of getting the job are secverely dented/killed of course).
    Your cover supervisor is misinformed.
    James

6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Thank you all for your replies/comments. I was just waiting on confirmation from the boards expert. I'm now going to add a link to this thread in the one in question :)

7. This is a little scary to read! If you fail your NQT/Induction year can you take it again at another school? Or is it an all or nothing approach?

Eeek!

8. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

No, if you fail, you fail, and you can't work in a state school again, I don't think. You could still work in private schools though, or perhaps academies???????
    It's not like an A level or something though, where you expect to get an A and suddenly find out when you get your results that you've failed. You'd know you were likely to fail before it happened, and if a school thinks you may fail they can release you from your contract before the end of the year, meaning you don't complete your final term of induction, and thus haven't failed. You can then do the final term again at a different school, and hopefully pass.