1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FAO CQ.... (or other pesto/wild garlic lovers)

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by RJR_38, Mar 25, 2011.

1. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Inspired by the pesto thread I have decided to make my own wild garlic one (as I LOVE it) and I have ordered an extra bag of it with the organic veg company this week as they have started delivering it :D
    Any good recipes for wild garlic pesto or is it just a case of bunging in the bashed pine nuts, chopped garlic, cheese and olive oil and guessing quantities?

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Having now discovered several pockets of wild garlic along the river banks near here, we will be having this next weekend.
    I didn't pick any this week, meals for the week are planned and it would be a shame to waste it. I will get some chicken breasts and pancetta next weekend and go foraging then. I need to find the bits furthest from the path and least likely to have been whizzed on by dogs!

3. I need to find the bits furthest from the path and least likely to have been whizzed on by dogs!
    That made me laugh. It reminded me of the herb garden my mother had which was always whizzed on by her dogs. I used to insist she wash the parsley before I ate it and even then just had to resolutely put all unpleassant thoughts out of my head!
    Another suggestion for wild garlic: add chopped leaves to stuffing. Either a sausagemeat one or to the sort of one that I make - onions, breadcrumbs, parsley,chopped bacon and lemon rind. Big yum.

4. bombaysapphire

This is going to be tomorrow's dinner. We found an area by the river with swathes of the stuff so I am going to make pesto too with hazelnuts. I have some lamb chops which I thought would go well with a smear of pesto and some pasta on the side.

5. Make sure you use the smaller leaves bombay - the bigger ones can be a little tough and stringy. Try the flowers with the lamb if they are out yet where you are.

6. This is something son made today (daughter was on salad duty):
    Full fat quark (hey, you need some taste) mixed with chopped fresh wild garlic. Wee bit of salt and pepper. Great with potatoes (which is was planned for, but I smudged mine onto my pork).
    It also tastes great on some wholegrain or rye bread.
    We have loads left, so he has just experimented with a tuna salad with wild garlic. I have to admit, I am impressed!

7. bombaysapphire

We are just back from an 8 mile walk along the banks of the Severn. So much wild garlic it was ridiculous! I assume it won't be good for much longer but for another month or so we can access tons of the stuff. The flowers are just starting to come out too.
    Mixed with quark sounds lovely CQ. I found a recipe on the net for savoury puy lentils served wtih wilted wild garlic and goats cheese. I am going to have to try that with my next gathering.