1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FAO Cosmos

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Apr 17, 2012.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Just to let you know I am on the edge of the bloody world in west Wales (next stop Venezuela!) on a field trip and cannot access my inbox. You sent me a PM but the wifi here forbids me from opening it.
    If anything important please send me a text!
    BTW I thought the one saving grace here is the bar (nearest pub is 30 minutes away and no transport) but they served wine that can only be described as sauvignon bleugh so I am not a happy bunny! [​IMG]

2. BelleDuJour

Just to let you know I am on the edge of the bloody world in west Wales (next stop Venezuela!) on a field trip and cannot access my inbox. You sent me a PM but the wifi here forbids me from opening it.
    If anything important please send me a text!
    BTW I thought the one saving grace here is the bar (nearest pub is 30 minutes away and no transport) but they served wine that can only be described as sauvignon bleugh so I am not a happy bunny! [​IMG]

3. Nothing urgent Belle.
    Keep warm and dry and hold your nose as the wine goes down.....it'll have the same effect!

4. BelleDuJour

I had to down the wine with a bag of cheese 'n onion to help it on it's way. Can you imagine doing that to a paulliac or a nice chilled montrachet?
    Got little sleep last nigth as the room was like a bloody sauna, then when I did nod off I was rudely woken by a flock of seagulls.
    Today it is blowing a gale and we'll be all day poking around on a blustery salt marsh with just a ham roll and Welsh cake for company.
    Deep joy! [​IMG]

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

is it any better yet?
    it has been bucketing down here all day - you aren't missing anything weather-wise.
    I'll have a glass for you, shall I?
    [​IMG]

6. BelleDuJour

I'll let you be the judge of that H!
    OK. Today's events:
    Get up after no sleep. Breakfast. Make packed lunch. Hour's lecture then set off on a 'short' walk (aka 5 miles) to freezing cold and windswept (hurricane force) saltmarsh. We're the only one's there and I do not need to ask myself why. Risk life and limb crossing 'The ditch if doom' to get to the start of the saltmarsh and observe samphire growing. Personally I prefer to observe samphire on my plate, in a nice restaurant, accompanied by grilled salmon and chilled pouilly fume.
    We then cross 'the ditch of doom' again and I fall flat on my face in the stinking, black, anaerobic mud. Much chuckling and clicking of cameras from my colleagues and students and little sympathy.
    Eventually head back making note to self if I ever see another bloody pioneer plant again I shall stamp on it, thus rendering succession less likely and calling a halt to stupid fieldwork like this!
    However, there is light at the end of the tunnel (well, on the 5 mile hike back) in the form of a lovely pub. My co-teacher from school and I persuade students to go back with Field Centre staff then duck in for a decent drink (as opposed to the stuff served at the Field Centre which is best used for spraying the roses, not drinking) and I find myself the proud owner of a half decent bottle of cab sauv (screw top) to take back to base (supporting the local economy of course).
    I am now a bit more optimistic (but still smell of black, sulphurous mud).
    Tomorrow, as they say, is another day.
    I can't wait.........................NOT!!!Answers on a postcard please! [​IMG]

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

8. BelleDuJour

FWIW supper was ***** too!

9. Ha ha! this field trip is so funny - well, for your various readers. Enjoy your nice wine. When does the field trip end?

10. BelleDuJour

Next Monday [​IMG]

11. Blimey, how many more marshy plants can there be to study??

12. BelleDuJour

Too bloody many!
    Mind you, weather permitting we may get to Skomer Island to see the puffins nesting which will be lovely, apart from the 16 mile walk in force 10 hurricane winds (no trees on the island to break the wind)

13. Apparently there are drought conditions in most areas of UK...

14. [​IMG]

15. That made me laugh! Oh...you'll laugh too when you get back....(I hope.)
    Y'know, I <u>LOVE</u> wild and windy places. I want to be out in the open, in the wilds, away from civilisation. I loved residential trips to Wales and the Peak District. I did lots of my Gold DOE Award in Wales (when I was 17) and this is bringing back memories. I think I am made for a Cagoule and walking boots....
    I quite envy you Belle...apart from the horrible food and nasty wine. (We enjoyed a rather good Chilean Sauvignon Blanc tonight.)
    Console yourself in the knowledge you are being paid to suffer the wilds....[​IMG]

16. It absolutely chucked it down today here in the Midlands. In between glorious sunshine. (Weird weather....)

17. Ooops. That (above) was in reply to Kinsa.

18. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Daily report required please Belle.

19. When I was a young teacher back in the 70s I absolutely loved going on Geography field trips - a free holiday with kids who loved you and vice versa and of course it was never in half term. But, sarcasm aside, great fun. Wish I was that young and idealistic and energetic now.

20. Oh poor Belle.......I must stop laughing. Not even any decent wine to ease the pain. Next time you'll know to take your own!

Y'know, I <u>LOVE</u> wild and windy places So do I AE. Good boots and anorak and a few birds thrown in and I'd be in seventh heaven!