1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FAO Bethannie, slow cookery lamb

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by beckycharles, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Hello!
    I've got a lamb shoulder joint for Easter lunch. Can I cook it in the slow cooker? Its just over a kilogram, how long will it take and what should I put with it? I've never done a joint in the slow cooker, normally use it for stews and the like!
    Thanks!
    Becky

2. hmmm, title should say slow cooker lamb!!

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I've done joints of lamb in the slow cooker before. I would suggest 6 to 8 hours of cooking. I would do 2-4 hours on high and the rest of the time on low on mine - or use the auto setting if you have one.
    I usually throw in a spring of rosemary, some whole garlic cloves and red wine - up to half a bottle depending on what I have. Then top up with water to about half way up the side of the joint.
    Not sure if it helps but I always try to turn a joint during it's cooking time.

4. That sounds great thanks!
    What do you normally do about the fat on the lamb? When using pieces of meat for a casserole I normally cut off any visible fat (slimming world dieter here!!) what would I do about the joint?

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

So....lamb shoulder....yum!
    As has already been said - it will slow cook a treat!
    If time allows I would go for a good 8 hours - and keep the cooker on low. If time is shorter 6 or preferably 7 hours on Auto.
    I wouldn't bother about the fat...it's going to mostly melt into the gravy anyway!
    I would suggest about 400mls of liquid....and be tempted to include a good glass of port/ red wine among the liquid!...and a splodge of redcurrant jelly is divine!
    Shallots would go really well...do you have banana shallots by any chance?...but onions will suffice!
    Remember not to lift the lid once you start cooking - although if you want to turn the meat, you are permitted to raise the lid!
    Take the meat out about 20 mins before serving - cover it and let it rest....and you can now skim the liquid if you want, add some thickener (granules or cornflour and water paste) and turn the machine onto high and make the most delicious gravy!

6. Thanks for your help! No shallots so onions will have to do but have the port, red wine and redcurrant jelly!
    Lamb is my most favourite meat but I rarely cook it, I can't wait!

7. Wow!!! Can't believe i've never cooked this before. Absolutely delicious! Melt in the mouth! Think i'm going to use the leftovers for shepherds pie tomorrow. Thanks to you both xx

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

becky....glad it turned out so delicious...I love slow-cooked lamb!

9. I didn't see it but thanks for the recipe, it looks great!!

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

[​IMG]

11. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

I wrote a nice long post but it vanished!

12. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

So I just have to type fast!
    Great meal of slow cooked shoulder of lamb. Thanks for the ideas. Red wine, recurrent jelly, shallots and rosemary. Had to eat early as the aroma was driving teenager to biscuits. No chance of any left overs here as little mmmmmmm is no longer little and now has hollow legs.
    Yum!