1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fantasy settings for year 1.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mrajbond, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Hi there, I really want to make my fantasy setting for the children really exciting and keep hitting the same brick wall of aliens and the Gruffalo, has anyone got any funky ideas for a setting I could base my literacy on for 2 weeks? Please let me know your thoughts and ideas... it would be much appreciated!
    Andy x

2. What about Alice in Wonderland? If you use the disney story, it is shorter and more accessible for younger ones. And you can get videos/dvds that are shorter (I have one that is 45 minutes and my kids both like it) to show them.

3. comenius

comenius New commenter

Last year I made fantasy world boxes in shoe boxes - I have pirates, the moon, underwater world with mermaids, magical world (glitter for the grass and playmobil fairies). I also put a big pirate ship with blue material and sand in the builders tray, mermaids and fishes in the water tray and put plants and compost in the sand tray as a jungle.In each I put a 'real' character as well as the fantasy characters.
    The children imagined that they shrunk and went into these worlds and generated descriptive language based around the senses ie what they could see, hear, smell, touch and taste in each world. They also imagined what might happen to them in these worlds and we used these as the basis for their final story. We also wrote postcards from each world.
    I also used the IWB - I found an image of eg underwater and added an underwater sound clip and the children watched and used these to generate descriptive language and what adventures/problems may happen in that setting.
    Stories I used were Where the wild things are, The pirate and the pig, The spell shell, Whatever next

4. What a fantastic set of ideas... love the small world shoe box ideas... pirates seem to be a good way to go hehehe! Has anyone seen any other themes?

5. all fab ideas, butpersonally i would save this unit until summer term.

6. comenius

comenius New commenter

I agree pinkflipflop, I did it summer 1 as the unit expects a lot from the children in terms of writing.

7. Hi there,
    I am a student teacher and soon I will be teaching the fantasy unit to a year 1 class.
    I think using shoe boxes to create a fantasy world is a brilliant idea! I was just wondering if you had any photos I could look at of the ones you created?
    Thank you

8. comenius

comenius New commenter

I've just checked and I do have some photos. If you let me know your e-mail I'll send you them.

9. Hi I am also a student teacher about to do fantasy settings would you mind sending me your photos also?! it's blue_vix@hotmail.com
    Thank you.

10. comenius

comenius New commenter

I can't find the photos on my laptop or dongle so I'll take some more next week at school and e-mail you them.

11. Mr Benn is really good too. We have used it for the last couple of years and the children absolutely love it. You can either get a book or it is on DVD. We used the DVD.

12. Hi..if you still have them on your computer could you email them to me too? mdw211@exeter.ac.uk
    Thanks!

13. I'm new to Year 1 in January and I am looking at Mr Benn for my fantasy world topic and role play etc, did you just use a range of Mr Benn books or DVDs to explore different fantasy worlds or did you expand it with other stories and compared them to Mr Benn? x