1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fantasy literature

Discussion in 'English' started by wasteland, Aug 25, 2015.

1. wasteland

wasteland New commenter

Hello,

Can someone please recommend some excellent fantasy novels suitable for Yr 8 (other than the usual Harry Potter, Pullman, and Narnia novels). Something as good as 'Subtle Knife'?

I loved 'Wizard of Earthsea' as a child myself but wondered if today's kid would enjoy it? Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

The Dark is Rising series is great, and there is loads of really lovely language analysis opportunities if you are talking about a class novel. I would also recommend Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series, which is really gripping. Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines is also excellent (I haven't read it in a really long time though, so you may want to check content for Y8). The Wind Singer is also a great book - not a dense as Pullman, but still great for that age group.

Also worth checking out www.whatshouldireadnext.com which will have loads of suggestions :)

3. wasteland

wasteland New commenter

Thanks Gloucesteroad. You're the second person to recommend Garth Nix. I'll have a read. I'll also check out Wind Singer. Cheers x

4. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

Percy Jackson series maybe? I loved the whole series of this.

I've read Chris Beckett's Dark Eden. For me, it's not a novel I'd read again. But I really can see it being accessible to year eights. A few naughty words in it, but I do think it wouldn't hurt to look into it.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Another vote for the Dark Is Rising. How about some Alan Garner, perhaps the Owl Service.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

They should certainly enjoy A Wizard of Earthsea. Where do you think Rowling and Pullman got their ideas?