1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

fantastic things for classroom Summer 2011 It's that time again!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by deeley, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Hi...
    I bought from Asda last week some tiny crates with lids, pack of six for £2, on special offer at the moment. I bought some for paperclips etc and also one for each table to keep pencil sharpenings in. No more time wasting trips to the bin!! Might be what you're looking for...

2. ballerina

ballerina New commenter

Went in to TK Maxx today and stumbled across their gorgeous stationery range, thankfully i am non-class based next year or i would have spent a fortune!

3. Just visited my local ikea and not a 'glis' box in sight!! Just an empty display space where they should have been!! Lucky for me that on my walk around I found a couple of packs just dumped in the kitchen section!
    Phew...

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOLOLOL too many teachers reading this thread then!

5. i got those small clip lid tubs from the pound hsop 3 for a quid. I put a mixture of coins in each and then put the lot into a shoebox. Means it's easy to give out!

6. Too true!! I wonder if Ikea are aware of why sales of certain items go through the roof this time of year. They should have an 'Ikea Classroom' section. They'd make a fortune if they actually made items intended for all our needs!!
    My other half and I were in Ikea just before the summer holiday last year and I bought six storage boxes with compartments for each of the tables in my new classroom (I was an NQT). He told me to leave it nearer to September but I didn't take any chances. He laughed when I said they would be out of stock by then. But I was laughing when we did visit Ikea at the end of the summer and there were just a couple left!

7. missrieen

missrieen New commenter

This thread makes me want to go shopping! I have old cutlery drainers on my tables, they are usable but not pretty. I have to keep telling myself I have a wedding to save for!

8. wilkinsons sometimes have coloured stuff, can't say it would be plain colours but I have seen it with patterns, like smarties etc, if not try staples.

9. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

someone definitely needs to pitch the classroom section to IKEA. they would def make a fortune during July and August

10. In Wilkinsons they have metal cylinders which hold loo brushes!! (pink, purple and another colour) for £3 each.
    I know it sounds weird but you have to see them to see what they are like - I have bought one to keep 30 cm rulers in and no-one would ever know the original use for it!

11. Hi. My first post on here, so hopefully it is in the right place. Just had to let people know about a bargain I found in Ikea. These look perfect for organising general table equipment such as pens, pencils and even small books. I've bought 6 so that table groups can share them. Take a look, very cheap too:
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50043573?query=500.435.73

12. a bit - and not very porous when ham fisted kids are writing their names on for 'lucky lolly sticks' Tesco also have them in their craft section! Colleague of mine obviously has a medical contact somewhere because his classes all write their names on tongue depressors...

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

ASDA have something like 50 coloured lolly sticks for 50p...

14. Thank you for all the suggestions of where to find gold sticky back plastic. I had looked in many of the places and then spotted it in hobby craft for 50p. They had lots of item reduced but I was trying to be very good so only looked at the gold plastic. RLBx

15. I have these . The ikea glist boxes also fit into them perfectly![​IMG]

16. And if you used coloured ones, the "random" pairings you make for talk partners can be *ahem* rigged a little..... [​IMG]

17. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

18. http://www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/product/fashion-to-buy-online/Kitchen/Sink-Tidy/29554&resultsPerPage=100&attrList=Dept,brand

These sink organisers are only £2 each! They come in red, pink, purple, black, silver and green. I am not sure my boys would be happy if my whole classroom was pink and purple! RLBx

19. Weezy18

Weezy18 New commenter

I have those ikea inserts and they were too good to resist. Had to buy some before I really even knew what I'd use them for!
    I use those caddies from matalan for writing stuff the children can take outdoors or over to the construction area.

20. Those sink organisers are available in black only for 50p at Dunelm Mill ( I ordered online and got them delivered to store so it didn't cost extra!) ....