1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

fantastic things for classroom Summer 2011 It's that time again!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by deeley, Jul 10, 2011.

1. redladybird - They often have this in crafty type shops, although sometimes expensive. We've got a couple of cheaper 'cardmaking' shops near us that have it tho so it is out there!

2. was reading this forum last night and was so excited thinking of all the new things i want for my classroom (yes, i am a complete loser, but i've been off school for 4 weeks now, so it was time to turn my attention to work for a while! and this is easier than planning...)
    had a GREAT time in wilkos, there was so much stationery i loved, great (sturdy as well) pencil sharpeners, pen sets, rubber sets and a good range of cute pencils etc that would be fab for the prize box. they also had an excellent range of wallets, folders, boxes and 'general organising' stuff.
    got a huge basketful for about £20. i would have bought much much more but i live and teach in the middle east, so the excess luggage price would make it somewhat less worthwhile!!
    tescos also have lots of reduced stationery, whiteboard pens 12 for £2.20 (i know i shouldn't buy things like this with my own money, but it does make my life so much easier - why does no school order enough?!?!)
    such a good day - totally agree with the poster on here who said stationery is teacher ****! i loved that, so so true.
    happy shopping everyone xxx

3. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

We all use these in our classrooms, and the school bought a job lot of them one year! One of the tray compartments neatly takes an empty 'Bold/Ariel Liquitab' container (small size) with the lid removed. This is used to collect pencil sharpenings and emptied at the end of the day; saves time -wasting trips to the bin whenever a pencil needs sharpening! I also use my emptied liquitab containers to hold water for painting. I just replace the pencil sharpening ones in the cutlery trays with water -filled ones; this keeps them steady and saves spillages!
    Keep the lids on these containers and they will store and stack so many small items, felts, crayons, etc.[​IMG]

4. Hi there,

I buy a black fleece blanket from Ikea for about £2.59 and then cut it into little squares. The last blanket I bought has lasted about 2 years!!!

5. In my school we get control over our classroom's budget - usually 15 pounds per head. My new room had nothing in it though and the head gave me pretty much a free rein to stock it. So school pays for pens and pencils, but I get all the nice storage boxes. What to do when you move rooms though? I bought loads of big boxes for lego, multilink in my old room but can't exactly turf it all into a plastic bag for the person moving into my old room?!

Anyway, I got some nice scented pens (99p) and rubbers (79p) in poundstretcher today. good for prize boxes.

Tot he person who needed milk crates - could you ring a local dairy? woudl they have them? I;ve become much better at asking for freebies since becoming a teacher!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes you can. Or put it on a shelf. Or in a couple of children's trays.

7. No trays, (or shelves, for that matter!) but plastic bags it is!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I know you will feel a bit guilty, but you have to do it. The point of buying all our own stuff is to be able to take it with us...and to satisfy that **** instinct someone else mentioned.

9. This is what happened to me last year. The outgoing teacher very kindly tipped all the maths resources into one carrier bag - digit cards, place value cards, dominoes.... you name it. None of it was sorted and none of the sets (digit cards etc) were kept together in any way.
    I still have most of the bagful, stashed in the back of a cupboard so I can pretend it's not there. [​IMG]

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errrrr I did mean separate bags for each thing...

Elizabeth, just bribe a few children to sort it all out one afternoon. Choose some for whom skipping a lesson wouldn't be the end of the world and leave them to it.

11. I know you did, Minnie!
    I press-ganged my long-suffering son into having a go last summer holidays. He found that so much was missing, it was easier for me to make most of the digit cards and things again from scratch.
    Oh, and I totally get the stationery/storage teacher **** thing! [​IMG]

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you have replaced or remade all the stuff then just dump the bag in the bin. Do it just before you go home one day and then you can't regret it or change your mind.

13. That sounds very liberating Minnie.
    My cupboard is crammed full of all sorts of stuff left by the previous teacher that I haven't felt able to chuck. I have about a quarter of it for my things. Just think, if I removed one thing every day and threw it out on my way out, I'd be clutter-free in no time!

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Elizabeth!!! That is totally daft!

Is your school open in the holidays? Take a friend, or child, into school with you. Sort out all the stuff into piles..used/not-used yet but might/would never use in a million years. Then dump the never use stuff, bet it is by far the biggest pile! Put the might use stuff in boxes on a very high shelf, you can chuck that next summer.

After a whole year it is now most definitely YOUR room, so make it so!

15. I'm going in for a day in the last week.
    Most of it is old SATS stuff - the school has kept every unused pupil booklet since goodness knows when, along with multiple photocopies of each one, and they are all in my cupboard...

16. I went in a day and put loads of stuff into bin bags and felt no guilt as I got rid. I also found a massive box that said it held multilink cubes but actually had clixi, unifix, multilink, marbles, etc mixed through it. Will take my friend's daughter in one day before term starts and get her to sort it out.
    I don;t understand why so much stuff is held onto - I too found assessment stuff from the early 90's!

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Keep one answer paper for the last 10 years, then you have plenty for revision. Keep all the reading booklets for the same time frame. Dump the rest.

18. 77

That's what I've done Minnie. It's in the school stock cupboard anyway - not in my cupboard, but we've now got loads more room and it's TIDY! so people can access everything easily.
    I've changed classrooms many times in 35 years, Elizabeth - decluttering has to be done! It's your room and you can make it what you want it to be. You also can keep whatever you spend your own money on.
    Have fun with the clearing out!

19. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

elizabeth, i agree only keep one master copy, mark scheme and the reading booklets, but I would box the rest and offer to previous teacher 'wasn't sure if you wanted to keep these but there isn't room in my cupboard if you want them for reference'

did this when i first moved in, previous teacher couldn't complain that i had binned them without their knowledge and it stopped any moaning

20. Weezy18

Weezy18 New commenter

My new classroom has a stock cupboard in it however it does have the previous teacher's stuff in - they were off ill at the end of term and didn't empty it!
    I can't wait to sort it out as it helps me feel organised, same with sorting the drawers and making labels for them!
    Not allowed in my room this week as it is being cleaned but as of Monday I'm off in to start sorting.