1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fantastic things for classroom summer 2010 - New Thread! (I hope)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by deeley, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Did say I'd post a display pic so here goes. Please, those of you who have been at this a long time, be gentle! This is my very first display.
    No idea if this will work or not but here goes;
    First Display
    All the borders and table dividers were made using polyribbon.

2. I think your display backing looks great, Grey Area.
    I teach Year 5 and this term we are looking at Britain since 1945, am currently deciding how to display our work. May organise it as a giant timeline, so loving your decade titling.

3. Thanks :) looking forward to putting mine up.

4. twist of lime

twist of lime New commenter

Hi, don't know if this has been mentioned already, but if I'm in town I always go into WH Smiths, ours has a bargain corner, and this week I have had...
    Birthday Certificates - 50p
    A range of stickers (ranging from) - 50p/75p
    Achievment wristbands - 50p
    A CD storage box - £1
    Turquoise metal/mesh storage baskets - £1
    A spot the dog dvd - £1.50
    I did get a few other bits but I can't think what off the top of my head. I've also bought a few children's cd's from the poundshop and a some really lovely 3d 'under the sea' stickers which I have used to decorate the children's toilets.
    Hope that helps someone :)

5. netballgoalshooter

netballgoalshooter New commenter

Excellent idea, why didn't I think of it?...will be trying it out in Sept! [​IMG]

6. I'm loving your work, Grey Area! It looks brilliant! Can I ask what font you've used for the 'Changing' bit in the title!? The polyribbon looks great too and is definitely something I'll be thinking about using in my classroom!
    Cheers,
    Matt

7. Wow Grey Area - your display is brilliant! I actually teach in secondary, but I am about to teach a small SEN group and something like this would be a wonderful idea for their History lessons. As above please can you tell me the font you have used for the title??
    Thanks

8. I teach in Reception and TESCO are selling off their radiator airdryers - down from £4.00 to 48p, bought a few ready for wet days when their gloves and hats need drying. i suppose they could also be used as painting drying racks.

9. From Sainsbury's I bought metal mini plant pots/buckets different colours reduced from £2.99 to 74p thought they would make nice felt tip pots.
    From Wilko's pack of ten brightly coloured Pencil & Eraser toppers for 99p! Thought they'd make nice xmas pressies.
    [​IMG]

10. Does anyone know where I can find a small (30cm tall) post box - one that looks like a Royal Mail post box?
    I'm just in the middle of putting together a resource for my PSHE display whereby the kids can 'Post A Problem' - a bit like a worry box. It would need to be big enough to post paper through ie - not like a money box (seen lots of these!)
    Thanks

11. Oh wow - thank you - this is exactly what I'm looking for. I just found this one but the TTS one is much better

http://www.mothercare.com/Postman-Pat-Postbox-Bath-Set/dp/B002P94QAY?_encoding=UTF8&

Thanks for your help!

12. likegoodwine

likegoodwine New commenter

Went into Homebase today and found in their £1 display, sets of 5 cars, also lots of other useful little bits and pieces but had to turn away because I've already spent far too much at Staples and Tesco and I haven't even found The Range yet!

13. I admire your willpower! [​IMG]

14. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

just spent £30 at costcutteruk.com

lots of coloured boxes that match my table colours for organisation

15. 12 packs of gold winner medals - 4 in each pack! - for £5 at Asda :) Part of their mix and match party gifts :)

16. Hi all,
    Coming to the end of my spending now BUT just bought tiny food containers from asda - 65p for 2 (and 20% off today). I'm going to use them for counters for each table. In the past I have also used them for PVA glue. Give one pot between two children. I find as children are not stretching across the table to use them there is less mess. When not in use, just pop the lids on and it stops the glue from drying out until you need them next. Brilliant!

17. Love the tub idea for PVA!

18. The £ shop have lovely bubbly sticker packs in different themes. I picked up some letters/numbers, flowers, underwater creatures and transport themed ones to add to some current and future displays. I think they also had dinosaurs and zoo animals. They're really nice and can be re-used once removed from displays, just glue or staple when they've lost their stickyness!

19. likegoodwine

likegoodwine New commenter

More lo cost things seem to be appearing in our local Tesco at the moment - it's quite a big one but not an extra.