1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fantastic things for classroom summer 2010 - New Thread! (I hope)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by deeley, Jul 12, 2010.

1. deeley

deeley New commenter

it's that time of year again, and a new thread has been suggested...
    <u>Bargain/invaluable things you've seen for your classroom for next year..</u>
    I'm such a sadsack; love love love stationery!

I know we always drift off topic on this one, but can we please steer away from the "teachers shouldn't have to spend their wages etc..." theme, and perhaps start another thread for that debate!! :)

Ok, I'll start with gelpens - I'm thinking of having pots of different colours available for shared writing to focus in on perhaps sentence punctuation or key feature words like connectives, and I'm on look out for multiple packs in supermarkets at the mo...

I'm also debating the eternal "table pencil pot" issue - usually have cutlery baskets which are ok, plus trialled boxes for books on table this year which worked well. Was intrigued by another that mentioned mini drawer units on each table? Anyone tried this...

over to you all x
    Deels x

2. I started with school pencils etc in wilkinsons 30p pencil cases one for each child, named. I relented at Christmas and let them have their own pencil cases. Thinking this year of pencil pots on tables (year 5). I'm an NQT so still experimenting - any advice?

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Occasional commenter

Been to ikea toda yand bought these plant pots
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90167340
    - to use as pencil pots. Roomy and sturdy (metal) and bright. And 99p!
    (And thought about the traditional TES bargains thread as I bought them!)

4. ROSIEGIRL

'today and' !
    Keeping my table stuff to a minimum - no sharpeners except by the bin because I'm fed of of my trays etc being full of shavings.

5. I've bought these A4 size boxes from Ikea which have compartments for stationery. Great, as they have lids and can be stacked when not in use. &pound;2.99 each so not cheap but seen them used in other classes. I can't bear the traditional pencil pots which kids tend to knock over and break the leads of pencils so they can't be sharpened!
    Just have to teach the kids how to use the boxes now....

6. deeley

deeley New commenter

ooh feel a trip to ikea coming on now!! Hurray!

7. Plastic wallets, with a table worth of mini whiteboards, pens and rubbers. Easy to give out, easy to collect. Tried leaving them on the tables this year in their table boxes, but found that some kids scribbled on them and they ran out rather quickly.

8. deeley

deeley New commenter

bump! been to B&M today - lots of little buckets etc in garden section, plus some fab colourful baskets in kitchen bit...

9. deeley

deeley New commenter

/\/\/\

10. I love this thread! I went to Hobbycraft tonight and got some fabulous bargains as they had an excellent sale on!

11. ROSIEGIRL

12. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

What is B and M?

13. tange

tange New commenter

14. deeley

deeley New commenter

Oooh B&M storage boxes collapsible, vivid colours, &pound;1.99 or 3 for &pound;5. Look great on my tables with lit and num books in.

15. Keeping the pencil sharpeners by the bin is genius. I am going to do that.

16. deeley

deeley New commenter

have invested in an electric pencil sharpener, &pound;8 from staples - have seriously never been so excited - it's amazing, and my 6yrold is keen to spend the morning sharpening everything in mummys classroom - done deal!

17. Just wondered if you could give me a link or any more information on these, they sound like a way forward!

18. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

we have all been asked to have a 'star of the week' and so small prizes to choose from box is my holiday quest...Today in Tesco in the &pound;1 section I got a packet of 4 ducks and for another &pound;1 a cute lion.I have started...