1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fantastic feedback, not picked for the job!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by SoniaMaudslay, Jun 21, 2019.

1. SoniaMaudslay

SoniaMaudslay New commenter

Dear teachers,

I need your help with this issue!
    I went to a school last week and delivered a 30m lesson followed by an interview.
    The feedback I got was that it was a fantastic lesson, I had done everything they were expecting (well organised, appropriate resources, good use of TA, challenging, etc...). After this feedback I really thought I was going to be offered the job only to be told later on by the agency that the school was not going to give me the job! Confused????

I'd love to hear other teachers' opinions and if anyone has gone through a similar experience.
    Thanks

2. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

When did you receive this feedback and from whom?

You will usually be thanked for your lesson and you might be told something pleasant afterwards by way of polite conversation as you are packing up, but this should not be viewed as feedback.

You usually only receive proper feedback if you are an unsuccessful candidate - and that is after you have been told you were unsuccessful.

3. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

We interviewed last week. We had two candidates who gave strong lessons - both would have been given positive feedback. In the end, as we only had one vacancy, we had to make a choice... and it literally came down to one or two answers in the formal interview, and a very minor consideration of who might make the best fit for the team. I would have happily appointed either candidate.... so sometimes, you really haven't done anything "wrong" - it might just depend on the field.

4. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

If it's an interview via an agency it could just be that another agency has offered them a teacher for a lower price.

peakster likes this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I went for several jobs that were set up through supply agencies.

I only got one of them.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. pablomarmite

pablomarmite New commenter

I flew in for an interview arranged by an agency last week. Lesson and interview went brilliantly. School were really impressed, would love me to work at the school, would pay me UPS but there is no actual job at the moment! The teacher in post had an interview two days later but of course if they didn't get job there would be no job. I went for another interview at a school I had applied directly to two days later and got offered the post and accepted. I told the agent to let the school know I had accepted the other post. The post I accepted offered less money and is fixed for year and the other school was perfect for me, but I couldn't work in a place that could interview for a job that didn't exist. I will probably never know if the teacher got the job or not.

agathamorse likes this.