1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fancy teaching Drama in Dubai Anyone?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by mamabear, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Hello everyone!
    I am a Drama subject leader at a British curriculum school in Dubai. We need a second Drama teacher for September 2007. The students are aged from 11 to 19 and we offer the National Curriculm for England, GCSE and AS/A2 courses. All students receive one period of Drama per week (55 mins)at KS3 and the subject is an option at GCSE and AS/A2 level. Prospective candidates need to be able to teach all levels up to and including A2 and must have at least two years teaching experience. (Apologies to all you NQT's and trainees - it's company policy)
    Haven't had the response to the general ad from the company that I would desire so thought I would come direct to the place where the professionals gather!
    If you think you might be interested feel free to contact me for further details - or if you're really keen send me your cv!

mamabeardubai@hotmail.co.uk

PS I'm going to retire to my balcony now, it's a very pleasant 29 degrees.....not that I'm trying to push the issue or anything......

2. Hello everyone!
    I am a Drama subject leader at a British curriculum school in Dubai. We need a second Drama teacher for September 2007. The students are aged from 11 to 19 and we offer the National Curriculm for England, GCSE and AS/A2 courses. All students receive one period of Drama per week (55 mins)at KS3 and the subject is an option at GCSE and AS/A2 level. Prospective candidates need to be able to teach all levels up to and including A2 and must have at least two years teaching experience. (Apologies to all you NQT's and trainees - it's company policy)
    Haven't had the response to the general ad from the company that I would desire so thought I would come direct to the place where the professionals gather!
    If you think you might be interested feel free to contact me for further details - or if you're really keen send me your cv!

mamabeardubai@hotmail.co.uk

PS I'm going to retire to my balcony now, it's a very pleasant 29 degrees.....not that I'm trying to push the issue or anything......

3. Oh man, this so what I want to do. Unfortunately I am only just finishing my undergraduate degree so still have my PGCE and 2 years experience to get. So I will have to wait 3 years!!!

I have been over twice and absolutely loved Dubai and have wanted to teach out there ever since.

Anyway so jealous!!! Good luck with the search for someone and may see you in 3 years!

4. tell me more about the kind of lifestyle you have - I lived in the middle east when I was very young and it was very restrictive for my mum... temperature sounds great tho!

5. This job sounds fantastic- why did i have to get pregnant lol

6. Hello Flutterby!
    Life in Dubai
    Weather
    December- March:
    Temperature wise like late spring/summer in the U.K. Current temperatures hovering between 19-32. Dropped as low as 9 degrees during January/February. We actually had about 3 weeks of rain (not continuous though!) Fab time for outdoor activities/golfing, sitting outdoors etc.
    April/Early May & October/November:
    Lovely weather, 30- 40 degrees. Sun worshipper?s heaven! Starting to get hot though. Humidity starting to kick in.
    Late May- September:
    HOT!!!!!! Can get as high as 49/50. High levels of humidity. Most teachers leave for the worst of it during the summer hols (8 weeks) which are usually July & August. If you have to stay life is bearable. All buildings/entertainment areas/bars/malls/
    Theatres/cafes etc are air conditioned. We just avoid being outside for prolonged periods. (PS We do have Boots the Chemist?s here and I can thoroughly recommend buying their sunscreen when they have it on 3 for the price of 2 offers!) Some tourists do still sit on the beach ? but the sea is too warm to be pleasant and if you are determined to be outdoors, a nice chilled pool with a sun hat and shades is the place to be!
    Lifestyle
    Dubai is a very tolerant Emirate. Alcohol is served in bars and restaurants (if they are located within a hotel) and also in sports clubs. There are off-licences where you can buy alcohol for consumption at home, though you do need to purchase an alcohol licence. Alcohol is expensive here but not prohibitively so. Ex-pats tend to get to know where and when happy hours are located very well! Much of Dubai?s social life revolves around food! There are many fantastic restaurants here. The fabulous all you can eat buffet?s are particularly popular ? even more so when they include alcoholic beverages! My family and I regularly eat in 5* hotels; something I would never even dream of doing in the U.K. For example, in my favourite hotel (5*) an all you can eat buffet including unlimited house beverages with the meal is approximately £20.00 per head. Remember, this includes drinks, so not a bad tab for a night out! There are cheaper inclusive deals and more expensive, this is simply my particular favourite. For those who enjoy clubbing there is a very vibrant bar/club scene, although actually getting into places like the Buddha bar can be difficult because they are so popular. There are regular Art exhibitions, concerts and theatrical productions. Theatre Du Soleil has just finished playing. There are public and private beaches. Yes you can wear swimming costumes and Bikini?s; though topless is a complete no-no and thongs are not a good idea. Don?t wear beach attire off the beach. People do, but it will probably cause offence and is unnecessary. Women do not have to be accompanied by men or covered up completely when out. Women can drive and we do have Christian churches here too!
    Finances:
    Do not come to Dubai expecting to make mega-bucks. My husband and I have managed to save more than we would have in the U.K. but we certainly don?t earn anywhere near the salaries our friends at home think we do! It?s a lifestyle choice. It can be very easy to spend money here so some people save, some don?t. Accommodation has become very expensive here. However, you should be provided with accommodation by your employer. Health insurance is provided by your employer.

Work:
    The kids at my school are lovely. Discipline wise it?s a world away from the U.K. state sector. However, don?t come to Dubai expecting one long holiday ? we work hard. Official school hours are 7.30 am to 3.00pm, and then there are the extra-curricular activities. However Thursday is a half day (1.00pm finish) and you can spend the weekend on the beach! The weekend is Friday/Saturday.

There is so much I could write, but don?t want to ramble. If you need more specific info please ask and I will answer.

7. Hey Mama Bear,
    You have captured my interest. I am currently teaching drama grades 8 through 12 at an inner city school in Vancouver, Canada which has certainly had its rewards and challenges. However, I am always up for a new adventure and would love to hear more about the school where you teach. I will send along my cv to your hotmail acct. for you to take a peak at.
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Best regards
    Laurie

8. Hi just read ure thread, very interesting ! Me and my girlfriend are mo in out soon, we Wrekin ing for schools that wouldemploy us, do u know of anything ?

9. Hi,

I tried emailing you and it said 'failure to deliver'.

10. This thread is 4 years old. There's a good chance the OP has de-registered or stopped checking messages.