1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fancy a new job? - Asda in-store COVID-19 Marshalls wanted

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jamvic, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Asda has announced it will crack down on people not wearing face coverings to protect against coronavirus in its stores.

The supermarket chain said it would station 1,000 new Covid-19 "marshals" in its 639 shops in the UK to make sure customers are wearing masks properly, unless they are exempt.

If shoppers are not wearing masks, they will be told they can get disposable masks to use in-store and pay for them at the checkout.

The new workers will also help customers with safety questions, Asda bosses said.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ule-covid-marshals-security-a4554561.html?amp

2. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I think anyone doing this job will need to have a thick skin.

Oscillatingass and agathamorse like this.
  3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

People who who work security usually do

4. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

True.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'm in! Take me, take me!
    I can see my application letter "I am an ex-high-school SEN teacher accustomed to handling sensitive and confrontational situations with calm professionalism and diplomacy."
    Then "Put the clucking mask on or cluck the cluck off before I make a citizen's arrest and get you fined £200. Got it?"

6. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

I feel very sorry for the people who are exempt and cannot wear face masks. They will face confrontations all the time.

WB and littlejackhorner like this.
  7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I hope they will challenge people with their noses poking out. If you're not exempt wear your mask properly or get out of the shop.

8. LondonCanary

The could just wear a face covering.

9. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

According to the Japanese, face shields ain't worth a light. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...g-aerosols-japanese-supercomputer-coronavirus

"Plastic face shields are almost totally ineffective at trapping respiratory aerosols, according to modelling in Japan, casting doubt on their effectiveness in preventing the spread of coronavirus.

A simulation using Fugaku, the world’s fastest supercomputer, found that almost 100% of airborne droplets of less than 5 micrometres in size escaped through plastic visors of the kind often used by people working in service industries."

10. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

The COVID ‘advisors’ at the entrance to Asda will have face masks in packs of 3 to give out to those without a mask on. Payment for the 3 masks will then be expected at the check out. Another thing that won’t go down well with those determined not to comply.

11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I wonder how many people genuinely fall into this category. Genuinely. I reckon few enough that they could be given a medical exemption badge which they could wear on a lanyard. They could apply through their GP who would authorise the badge where there was genuine need.
    Edit: I know that people can self-exempt using a badge and lanyard, but I’d like to see these only valid if certified by their GP.

12. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

There are sunflower lanyards that can be worn, signifying exemption. Not sure where you get them though.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Given we can't see our GP, even my daughter's annual asthma check was done over the phone, I'm not sure many people can get to their GP to get a letter.

You can, if you have a printer, print an exemption card from TfL or asthma UK. Or you can ask at supermarket desks for a lanyard.

However, the law states you don't need to say why you are exempt nor prove it.

Jamvic likes this.
  14. LondonCanary

I don't understand why you quoted me.

15. modelmaker

Face shields count as face coverings. Lots of people are wearing them as an alternative to face masks.

ajrowing likes this.
  16. LondonCanary

OK. So people who don't like masks can wear face shields instead

17. modelmaker

I understand your daughter's predicament. The thing is though, there's no reason why face masks specifically for people with asthma, or other respiratory disorders couldn't be designed to allow them to breathe easily. In time some bright spark will recognise the problem and devise such a mask. It's just that the need for the general public to wear masks is new thing that wasn't initially expected to last long.

But face shields are ineffective at preventing the spread of the disease, which is why face masks are required. You'll see doctors and nurses wearing them in addition to a face mask, as a protection from being coughed on etc. but like everything else, the messaging from the government isn't clear enough.

18. LondonCanary

It's a face covering that is required.
    But they don't wear them in Asda.
    People can just fit in and wear what is mandated.

19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

That’s where it all falls down, imo. Laxity rules.

Jamvic likes this.
  20. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Cue a lot of people taking up GP appointments claiming anxiety-obviously this is a real condition, but sadly people lie. Also children, in particular might bully not mask wearers (obviously this is more relevant to schools than elsewhere, but could apply in shops).