1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fancy a four-day working week?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Oct 7, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Apparently Labour is considering offering a four day week to voters to win the next general election, according to John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor.

Labour will “look at the working week” as part of an examination of working practices ahead of drawing up the party's manifesto for the 2022 election.

I wonder if that will apply to schools and teachers too.

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Would be easy to arrange with a mathematician in charge of timetabling and all the non teaching managers put back into classrooms, even just for one week in two on a two week timetable. Primary block all the ppa into one session, secondary could do the same. With some primaries effectively closing the school for Friday afternoons and saving tens of thousands.......
    I've long thought that schools should ask/offer teachers flexitime. Some of us prefer early start, early finish, some late/late. The school day could be extended with zero extra staffing costs, the many teachers who commute could avoid the rush hour, even just one or two days a week would make a difference.

JohnJCazorla, Dragonlady30 and nomad like this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Jamvic likes this.
  5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Fancy a four-day working week? Do the bears sh*t in the woods? Do footballers screw around? Does Trump grab their pussys?

6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I'm strongly in favour of a four-day working week for teachers and students alike. It's mad that our working patterns are so traditional when nothing else is traditional about modern society.

TCSC47, grumpydogwoman and Jamvic like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Does it involve a 20% paycut?

Or will the school day be made 1-1:30hr longer?

needabreak likes this.
  8. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

I'm all for this.

9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Indeed and how does that affect tax revenues to pay for all the other wonderful things planned. More blue sky thinking or sound workable Government policy?

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Could be two weeks taken off the summer and one off of Easter? That's 15 days... need 15 more.

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Longer school days (& maybe less homework) would be fine, but I'd wager shorter holidays would affect teacher recruitment adversely...

HelenREMfan likes this.
  12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The Green Party is concerned too, that our work-life balance is in crisis. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45750920

I doubt that a four day week will improve the Green's concerns much as it would lead to more being expected of workers during the days they work.

It is time some sort of charter was drawn up to identify what constitutes a fair day's work for a fair day's pay. Workers in all walks of life are being expected to contribute outside their contracted hours without being paid for it.

Speaking as an individual, it never overly bothered me if clients contacted me in my free time when I was flogging stuff, because it was an opportunity to earn a sizeable commission and it was my personal choice whether I wished to do it.

Too many people are being expected to do this sort of stuff for free these days and it needs to be addressed.

JohnJCazorla and kibosh like this.
  13. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I am not sure that longer school days would be very productive, for teachers, or students. We had 'third session' timetabling to accommodate 6th form and separate subject science GCSEs, which meant seven hour days at the chalk face. For even well-motivated students, this was too much.

14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

How would a longer day work for primary Schools? My grand-daughter's just started and is completely knackered by 3 o'clock.

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I only teach mornings now that I have retired and I am knackered by 10:30.

16. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm personally all in favour of a four day working week. I had one a while back, but then things jumped out on me and I'm back to four and a half days a week.
    The big question is "can a worker generate enough value added to their business in the four working days in order to be able to take home enough money to live adequately for a week (in this rather expensive country)?"
    This raises all sorts of questions about the distribution of income / profits and probably can't be answered in generalities. We have seen companies like Carillion and Maplin unable to generate enough cashflow to remain solvent with workers working normal hours.
    At an alternative end of the spectrum, there are plenty of young workers in the ZHC economy who would love to have four guaranteed days work every week.
    The stumbling block of a four day week will be the (probably reasonable) desire of the employer to cut pay by 20% if less work is done.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  17. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Magic money tree moment from Labour.

Remember the student fee promise....

Heads want you at school so they can squeeze you....

Yeq2.gif

nomad likes this.
  18. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

What year does she teach?

Jesmond12 and nomad like this.
  19. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

My (ex) husband was a BT engineer and worked a nine day fortnight which consisted of 8:00 am to 5:00 pm with half an hour for lunch and tea breaks morning and afternoon. That would have suited me just fine as a Primary School teacher. His holidays plus Bank Holidays weren't much less than all my school holidays put together and he didn't have to think about his job after 5:00 on the days he worked. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ????

TCSC47 likes this.
  20. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I'm going on a four day week at the beginning of November.

needabreak likes this.