1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sbkrobson, Aug 8, 2020.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I expect this thread or at least this question has come up before, so sorry if I repeat, but it is topical to me today. My study is waaaay too hot, and I have resorted to buying a fan. A first.

So where is the best place to point the fan? Next to me? Oscillating? Not oscillating In the doorway? I have even read somewhere you should blow the fan out of an open window. Eh? That sounds too much like putting biscuits in the bin.

So how do you get maximum efficacy from en electric fan?

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Empty your freezer, put the contents in a pile next to you and have the fan blow over them. Prepare to have big dinner tomorrow,

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Top tip.

Next...

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Drip some water over yourself and point the fan directly at you. Problem with this is it cools you well and quickly but then you feel very hot again as it wears off so has to be repeated often.

Water saving way is to do this after a shower - don't try with a towel, use the fan.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Spectacular family advice for an evening in front of the fan!

Next...

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    mothorchid, Jamvic and dumpty like this.
  6. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Got out of a cool bath about an hour ago after a faiy a tivevday outdoors with the dogs... no fan required... showers are an alternative but might be shocking to start with, I find running hands/wrists and ankles/feet under the garden tap helps to make me feel a bit cooler for a while as well.

sbkrobson likes this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

Buy 2 fans and create a cross wind. Even better with the bucket of ice infront of each one ;):);)

8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

In my study it’s 1 metre away from me (even fans do social distancing) and directed directly towards me . Oscillating just cools the piano, chair or book cases - and they don’t need it as much as me

sbkrobson likes this.
  9. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Switch it on. Have a cold beer. Feel better. :)

cissy3 and sbkrobson like this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well that is what I would have thought and that is the obvious, but then all sorts of Googlery told me I ought to point it out of the window!
    Anyway, the fan is blowing directly at me and it is still way too hot to get done what I am supposed to be doing.

Hate it. Much prefer cold weather.

11. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

Book airline tickets to Iceland.

Current temperature in Reykjavik 11C.

sbkrobson likes this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

11C sounds very lovely from where I'm sitting.
    Not too sure about that though, bit busy this weekend.
    My local Iceland is open for another 15 mins or so, mind, I could just nip down for some lollies or something. To wear on my head.

colpee and Ellakits like this.
  13. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

That's posh. We don't often shop there, but when we have I've driven. Come to think of it, I doubt we've been there since it was Bejam. Is Iceland the shop in the adverts where the woman pats her bum?

Ellakits and sbkrobson like this.
  14. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Lollies you say.......

upload_2020-8-8_19-47-12.jpeg

Attached Files:

sbkrobson likes this.
  15. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Use the Underground to get to Heathrow. You will be able to appreciate the coolness of Iceland or acclimatise to Dubai as the temperature on most lines will be between 36 and 42 degrees.

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

...I think we finally have the answer.

cissy3 likes this.
  17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I just put mine on a stool (mid height, you see) and switch it on. Does the trick.

sbkrobson likes this.
  18. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

Don’t know what adverts you’ve been watching, but it sounds a bit niche and er, subscription based...! :eek:;)

19. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Splash out on a decent fan. I was very poorly a couple of years ago. In desperation we bought an expensive Dyson fan .I expect some on here will mock, but it was a life saver. It cooled me down and filtered the air-both needed for my recovery. It has been very effective during the current hot spells.

20. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

What I wouldn't give for a fan right now!!

sbkrobson likes this.