1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Famous Mathematicians

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by hjd1981, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Hi

Need to find a 'pupil friendly' website to research famous mathematicians (year 7). I have done this investigation in the past but want to avoid nearly all pupils giving me something they have copied and pasted from wikipedia on pythagoras or newton.
    The changes I am making this year are:
    All pupils picking a name out of a hat with a mathematicians name on it so they all get someone different to research.
    I want them to come up with 5 key questions(?) about their person relating to what they discovered (more or less in their own words). Nothing too complex but don't want reams of info they have just printed.
    This is one of our depts ICT investigations so research will hae to be done on the internet.
    Just wanted to find an easy to read website as the ones I have found are so in depth about each person I think it will be off putting. I'm not saying I wouuld want them to understand 'the maths' behind each discovery but perhaps why it is important or where it might be used.
    Icant get the timeline on count on website to work.
    Any suggestions. I am hoping at the end to compile a timeline to go on the wall of my classroom with the pupils work attached.
    Thanks

2. Hi

Need to find a 'pupil friendly' website to research famous mathematicians (year 7). I have done this investigation in the past but want to avoid nearly all pupils giving me something they have copied and pasted from wikipedia on pythagoras or newton.
    The changes I am making this year are:
    All pupils picking a name out of a hat with a mathematicians name on it so they all get someone different to research.
    I want them to come up with 5 key questions(?) about their person relating to what they discovered (more or less in their own words). Nothing too complex but don't want reams of info they have just printed.
    This is one of our depts ICT investigations so research will hae to be done on the internet.
    Just wanted to find an easy to read website as the ones I have found are so in depth about each person I think it will be off putting. I'm not saying I wouuld want them to understand 'the maths' behind each discovery but perhaps why it is important or where it might be used.
    Icant get the timeline on count on website to work.
    Any suggestions. I am hoping at the end to compile a timeline to go on the wall of my classroom with the pupils work attached.
    Thanks

3. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

4. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

5. Thank you all for your suggestions. My investiagation is taking shape now
    xx

6. Plus Magazine is also fab (there are loads of back issues there if you use the numbers at the bottom both or historical figures and current working mathematician.
    I you make them all choose different ones (they could write them on the board when they've chosen) they would have to explore the magazines?