1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Famous last words "Oh, the children will know what to do"...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Mowgli1970, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Yes, they may well know what to do, but when they have a supply teacher they will go out of their way to ensure they don't know what to do.
    Anyone else hate this? I was in a class this afternoon, "finishing off" work and doing whole class work on laptops.
    The problems were endless! Laptops not charged, files not found, work not saved properly, children fibbing as to whether they'd finished previous work or not (no list from the teacher as to who had finished, had to rely on the children!).
    In the end, with 20 minutes to go I said they could go on CBBC and play games if they'd finished. I felt like I'd run a marathon.
    What a crappy lesson to leave for a supply teacher!

2. Yes, they may well know what to do, but when they have a supply teacher they will go out of their way to ensure they don't know what to do.
    Anyone else hate this? I was in a class this afternoon, "finishing off" work and doing whole class work on laptops.
    The problems were endless! Laptops not charged, files not found, work not saved properly, children fibbing as to whether they'd finished previous work or not (no list from the teacher as to who had finished, had to rely on the children!).
    In the end, with 20 minutes to go I said they could go on CBBC and play games if they'd finished. I felt like I'd run a marathon.
    What a crappy lesson to leave for a supply teacher!

3. Sounds a lot more organised than some I've had!
    Classes changed and room changed but obviously not worth telling the supply teacher where they're needed. Scrap of paper left on a desk in another classroom complete with instructions to "finish worksheet". Would be helpful to know the topic or to, heaven forbid, have a copy of the worksheet attached but hey ho. Clearly secondary supply teachers are trained to teach every subject.
    As for "they know what to do"..... push their luck and try to get away with doing nothing of course.
    Funnily enough, that's quite normal for my favourite school and I've thoroughly enjoyed my days there!

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Friday afternoon, sunny weather, lesson using laptops, last day of term (for you ??). All these factors add up to mean you were on a "loser" from the start. I doubt if anyone expected much from them under these circumstances anyway.
    Count it as a success if you got through it, no one got hurt and nothing was damaged. Its the weekend and the Easter break starts soon.
    Tomorrows another day (and in this case its Saturday [​IMG])

5. I went through a phase of getting increasingly annoyed with endless supply lessons consisting of "oh let them go on Mathletics"... when the network couldn't cope with 30 kids logging onto it simultaneously and no one had set the difficulty levels quite right for the kids.