1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Family

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by erinjunior, May 3, 2011.

1. Last week and this week we have been looking at the Royal Wedding and now children are talking about Family. So next week they have asked to learn about Families.
    Does anybody have any stories or activities linked to this theme. It is Science and DT week so was wondering whether anybody had any creative activities linked to this????

2. Last week and this week we have been looking at the Royal Wedding and now children are talking about Family. So next week they have asked to learn about Families.
    Does anybody have any stories or activities linked to this theme. It is Science and DT week so was wondering whether anybody had any creative activities linked to this????

3. Families to me means houses .. make a house/sink a brick in a tub of water/ mix a paint colour and look at a commercial paint chart to look at names, then name your colour ( this is such fun!). Make a huffer-puffer to blow down The Three Pigs House.

Good stories include "the Large Family" by Jill Pearce, "3 Pigs", Babette Cole "Trouble with Mum/dad" etc, then there's plenty or Mum, Dad, Granny, Grandpa. My favourite is by Margaret Wild (I think) called "Our Granny" illustrated by Julie Vivas. Science - wise you could include cooking, so then I use baby food and puree fruit or veg from scratch - great learning. Books about babies could be "Avocado baby" by John Burningham, Mem Fox's "Ten Little Fingers" about babies all around the world- very multicultural and rhyming and the illustrations are divine. There are so many ..... google Mem Fox, Margaret Wild, Jill Pearce, Jan Ormerod to get you started and whet your appetite.