1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Family Games Suggestions

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JTL, Nov 14, 2019.

1. marlin

marlin Star commenter

We tried that one Christmas. Out of seven of us, only the two that brought the game along understood what it was all about! :oops: :confused:

2. May2

May2 Established commenter

I have made Listography sound the same as Scattergories but we have played both and I found Listography to have a bit more to it after playing Scattergories for years.
    Another different game is Perudo we often play with friends at that time of year.

3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

This costs £0.00

Cut up loads of slips of paper and provide everyone with 10 slips each & a pen.

Everyone writes the names of famous people/characters from
    books/films/cartoon characters/historical figures individually on their slips and folds them. Put all folded slips in a bag. (You get a good generational mix of names if everyone contributes and if there are some duplicates in the bag it really doesn’t matter, it can be a good laugh as an easy ‘win’ actually).

Split family members into 2 teams.

Each person from the 2 teams then alternately (until everyone has had a go) takes a turn at standing up and drawing out individual slips.

They then say any clues/descriptions/plots etc. they want to their own team to try to get them to call out the name/character written down (can’t say anything written on the slip of course or give initials). If someone on their own team guesses it correctly they get to keep the slip of paper.

If no one on their own team gets the answer in the time allowed the other team are collectively allowed to have just one guess to try to claim the slip of paper. (They will have been conferring ‘quietly’ sharing their ideas while the guessing was going on).

If no one from either team guesses it after this final collective ‘bonus’ guess then re-fold the paper and mix it back in the bag.

You can either allow a set time for each turn (we use a small egg timer but a mobile phone’s stop-clock would do) or agree that a turn carries on until the playing team fail to guess a name correctly.

Keep alternating teams doing the explaining & guessing and try to win as many slips as possible. The team with the most slips when the bag is empty wins.

Hope I’ve explained that ok. It’s easier to actually do than to write down! We’ve had everyone from Donald Duck, Buzz Lightyear to Karl Marx & Aristotle written down!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    sunshineneeded and needabreak like this.
  4. jeswes

jeswes New commenter

Tension, 5 second rule, Mr and Mrs, Bananagrams, Taboo are all popular in our house

5. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Thanks Janvic. We’ve played something similar but you explanation is much better.

6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Munchkin. Consequences. Charades. Sardines. Botticelli.

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Trivial Pursuit - Bet You Know It is pretty good. You can get it on eBay for £10-15.

I second Yatzee; excellent game.

UNO is easy and can be fun

And cheapest of all -cards! Whist, Cribbage, Euchre, Hearts, Gin Rummy, and many more.

Of course you don't necessarily need all-in games. A few cheap two-player games can be fun - Draughts, Snakes n Ladders & Mastermind etc

8. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Senior commenter

Charades.
    Winter Olympics. That's the best but you do have to go outside.
    We play a potato game. You have to pass it between your knees in teams. I forget what it is called. Potato poo maybe.
    Stop the bus.

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

TWISTER!!!
    Go on, you know you want to!!

(Articulate is fantastic. Balderdash, too. My two favourites.)

10. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I found Dobble and Jungle Speed to be good fun.

11. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

The yes no game with a bell or Pictionary with (made up) whiteboard/s though paper is good too.

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I was introduced to Bananagrams at a recent family reunion. It's addictive and all players are active at the same time (not waiting for a turn). Suitable for 2-8 players and costs £15 at Argos. I'm getting it for Jubilee Towers this Xmas.

Stiltskin likes this.
  13. shakes16

shakes16 New commenter

Name That Trashy Song
    It's available in stores at Xmas

minnie me likes this.
  14. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Jenga has been mentioned and is good fun.
    For a slightly more peaceful time, which encourages (but doesn't insist on) conversation, can you tip a 1000 piece jigsaw out onto the table and just let people do it over a couple of days? It's something I have seen done at a New Year's Day Open House and it was lovely. But I don't really like board games.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

16. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

17. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Who am I? Write the names of famous people on paper and pin one to the back of each player. People have to ask questions of the other players to find out who they are, but can only ask each person 1 question and the they cannot ask who they are and the person asked is not allowed to give them the name on their back.

18. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Colpee. Lovely to discover someone else who plays Euchre! I really enjoy card games. Euchre was a game we played constantly when I was a child in Cornwall and at Christmas my local area held Euchre drives in lots of the villages. Once you are good at it a ‘hand’ can be played very quickly. Sadly, over the years I have attempted to teach it to others but it gets very frustrating when they find the rules challenging and I get accused of making them up as I go along!

Lots of good suggestions here so thank you all.

19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

A few more.
    a take on articulate type games card game- randomize
    If you have a PS, general knowledge quiz show where you use your tablet/mobile phone to answer questions - Knowledge is power
    Free app to play heads up - sometimes modern tech can draw in those reluctant to do traditional games.
    Shithead card game (a backpackers favourite) I am guessing the filter may catch this

20. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

or not