1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Family Games Suggestions

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JTL, Nov 14, 2019.

1. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

In an effort to create family harmony this Christmas I am asking for suggestions for good family games to play. Us plus three ‘children’ and two partners, all in their 30s. Don’t want to splash out on Trivial Pursuit and don’t like Monoplopy. Tried Triominoes with friends and we all hated it. Would appreciate your ideas please.

2. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Articulate is good fun!

chelsea2, primarycat and Jamvic like this.
  4. BertieBassett2

[​IMG]
    Sorry - meant to add the picture!

Jamvic likes this.
  5. BertieBassett2

You might do well to browse in charity shops for board games.

freckle06, Dragonlady30 and Jamvic like this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are you only willing to consider modern proprietary board games? They're the only ones you mention

Much more fun IMO are traditional Victorian parlour games. There's a sample of them here, but search 'Victorian parlour games' and the choice is endless.

http://victorian-era.org/victorian-christmas-parlor-games-adults.html

In case you think the first named, Snapdragon, is something no-one would play nowadays how wrong you would be! I discovered it when my kids were about 8 or 9 and they loved it! And their friends (teachers' children all!) Even when they did burn their fingers a bit (alcohol burns at quite a low temperature :)). They insisted on playing it every year until they went to uni and then introduced their fellow students to it.

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I go with Articulate.

I don't understand how it works, but it does!

chelsea2, BertieBassett2 and Jamvic like this.
  8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It depends on ages. Jenga is accessible to all. I love Balderdash, especially the word version.

chelsea2 likes this.
  9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I love yahtzee too.

colpee likes this.
  10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

[​IMG]
    My Mum used to drag Tell me out every Christmas. I mean EVERY Christmas. Original 1940s vintage game.

Great fun watching our kids trying to say what their favourite Wireless Programme, Steam Locomotive, and Virtue was. "What's virtue Mum?" "I wouldn't know dear, ask your Dad." :eek:

I've actually got a 9 hole miniature Crazy Golf set from the 1930s, complete in the box. We must give it a go.

Alternatively there's Targette, the fun game of strategic nuclear bombing for all the family, complete with little plastic Vulcan bombers:

[​IMG]

11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Another vote for Articulate!

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  12. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Thanks for suggestions so far. I have been browsing charity shops but found nothing yet. I think we ought to get Articulate and I will look at the parlour games. We used to play them when I was a child and had lots of fun. Haven’t heard of Balderdash and Yahtzee.

13. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Why not get a good old fashioned 'Compendium of games'? I love Risk but if this is a combative, competitive family.... that might not be a good idea.

I have the GoT Monopoly and we like it :)

14. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Oh and I forgot to mention card games.... used to play Pontoon a lot with mine (Vingt-et-un ) couple of boxes of matches give matchsticks for betting.... great fun :) (as long as no-one is 'sniffy' about "gambling") I like whist too, rummy.....

15. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Category Game - Each person has a piece of paper, and each player in turns suggests a category, which are written across the top of the piece of paper. We typically use nine or ten categories (my suggestion of twelve is roundly ignored) such as "Rivers", "Disney Movie Character", "Vehicle Make" etc etc. Then you pick a letter using a random letter selector and the timer is set at 3 minutes (or whatever). Let's say "P" is chosen Getting a valid answer which someone else also gets = 5 points (two people get the River Plate). Getting one where everyone else's answer is different (Someone gets Pluto while others got Pocahontas). If you were the only person to get an answer in a category (e.g. Peugeot and inexplicably no one else thought of one) = 20 points. Play 8-10 rounds. Highest scorer wins.

BertieBassett2 and Jamvic like this.
  16. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

This one is a bit different - you all play as a team rather than against each other
    upload_2019-11-14_19-44-3.png

Weald56 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  17. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Spot The Imposter!

18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Scattergories!

Edit - just spotted Maga's description. The boxed game is Scattergories. You could prob play it with no special equipment but the game comes with a 26 sided die, a timer, a pad of answer sheets and a list of categories.
    You could use Scrabble pieces in a bag instead of the die and print your own answer sheets and categories.

19. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

We played this last year - it was highly amusing
    upload_2019-11-14_19-52-1.png

20. May2

May2 Established commenter

Linkee or Listography .
    Listography is a bit like Scattergories but we found it more fun as there is the extra twist of scoring a different number of points depending on whether your answer matches other people's or if you have an individual answer. You have question cards and it tells you the points that can be scored on each question (or something like that, I haven't played since last Christmas!)