1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

family friendly restaurants hull and york

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Si N. Tiffick, May 9, 2011.

1. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Can anyone recommend good (i.e. not fast food or Brewers Fayre type chains), reasonably priced restaurants in York and Hull suitable for a well behaved child to visit with his old mum (me!). He isn't your usual chicken nuggets kind of kid- he'll eat any cuisine. I'm visiting soon and would rather have recommendations than pick out of the phone book!

2. There's a place called Plunketts in York that is quite close to the Minster. Lovely food, very warm atmosphere. If it was a very young child I wouldn't reccomend it but if like you say he is of an age where he can sit still for a meal, he should be fine. They do have a website if you google it.

3. bubbles40

bubbles40 New commenter

in terms of hull - you could try the old town , cuckoos in the centre [ it's a cafe but the food is good] or mcoys [ which is only a couple of doors down ] . if you want to go out of the centre , try the avenues and pave .

4. Si N. Tiffick

Thanks for these suggestions- he's a well behaved (can sit still and be patient) 8 year old with grown up tastebuds so I'm happy to take him to "proper" restaurants rather than Bella Pasta type places.

5. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

Convert your Tesco vouchers and eat for free in York. There are several venues these can be used at including our favourites Bella Italia and Cafe Rouge - families eat there all the time and they always seem well behaved and quiet - no screaming babies or toddlers:)
    The vouchers cover all food not drinks.

6. Si N. Tiffick

Great minds think alike! I'm converting all my tesco voucher to stay between York and Hull for a week's holiday, plus tickets for attractions such as Eureka, Lightwater Vally etc, so sadly there won't be any left for meals! [​IMG]

7. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Cuckoos is lovely for lunches. If you wanted an evening meal in hull there are great restaurants and cafe bars on the avenues. My favourite is a restaurant called Marrakech Ave which is on Princes Ave. It doesMorroccan/Lebanese food, probably best to book. If you're staying between Hull and York make sure you visit Beverley, there are also some nice tea shops, cafes and restaurants there.

8. I fell in the boating lake once at Lightwater... not completely relevant but I've never managed to live that one down among the family.

9. Si N. Tiffick

Now that sounds more like it! Thanks for the tip- and I'll definitely visit Beverley- we'll be in the area for a week so hope to see the area fairly thoroughly.

10. Si N. Tiffick

Can anyone tell me if Betty's is worth going to? It looks expensive but if it's worth it...

11. dande

dande New commenter

no

12. lrw22

It is expensive but worth it for the experience. Go for afternoon tea or choose something from the cake trolley.

13. Si N. Tiffick

Hmm- the jury's out!

14. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

No! Last time I went my coffee was cold. I'd rather go to Costa! Café Concerto is nicer than Bettys - it's on the same street as Plunkets.

15. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Betty's is not cheap, but it is sooo good. They bent over backwards to accommodate my aversion to carrots one lunch time, and coffee cakes in the yummy afternoon tea. The quality is wonderful, and so is the presentation.
    Try an afternoon tea with a pot of Kwazulu tea. (Best tea they sell).

16. Si N. Tiffick

Sadly, teas and coffees make me shake so I don't drink either, and the wee one doesn't drink tea either- tea (best quality or otherwise) is wasted on us!

17. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I am truly sorry to hear it. Go anyway, and have something else to drink with your afternoon tea. They will reconfigure the bill accordingly.

18. lrw22

I go to Betty's with a friend who doesn't like hot drinks. She has afternoon tea with apple juice.

19. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

The Balloon Tree just on the York side of Stamford Bridge is lovely for cakes.
    All the Hull museums are good. The Deep is a bit overpriced, we think, but were spoiled by the much better aquarium in Scotland.

20. dande

dande New commenter

Use to love Oscars. Then they moved around the corner and it lost a lot of what made it special.