1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Family Doctor Excusing Pupils from Coursework

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by morrisseyritual, Jan 26, 2016.

1. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

Myself and other Pupil Support teachers have been intermittently receiving typed, legal-style letters from a GP in the catchment area. These are handed in by pupils from all year groups and are usually fairly lengthy letters excusing each pupil from school activities on medical grounds. One senior pupil was excused from speaking in front of class due to anxiety attacks while another letter from the same GP said that a pupil should not have homework as it stresses them. There are other examples.
    In my experience parent/guardian letters are usually enough to excuse a pupil but I've never seen this kind of direct GP letter before. Is the GP charging for them, I wonder?!
    Anyone else encountered this fairly invasive thing from GPs to schools?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

AS far as speaking in front of a class goes, talking and listening is a requirement of National courses and not all outcomes are easily ticked off in group discussion so a talk to class may be the most appropriate assessment method. A note from mum will not excuse a pupil from an SQA assessment so maybe some parents are going down the route of medical intervention.

3. davieee

davieee Occasional commenter

If they dont achieve the SQA standards then they dont get an award. It like saying that a fat wean gets a note from his odctor saying he cant run but still gets to pass the "bleep test".

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

A note from the doctor can bring special arrangements...

5. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Well, they're just going to fail their courses, aren't they? So, **** them then.

Maybe they can get note from their doctor stating that even through they didn't pass their courses they are jolly fine chaps and chappesses and should be given jobs or university places anyway.

On a serious note, not that I wasn't being serious before, this sort of rubbish spoils it for those with genuine reasons.

Effinbankers likes this.
  6. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

Thanks folks! I've asked the EIS rep in the school about this too.Medical diagnoses and ongoing treatment/therapy for example a clear physical impairment and/or ASD are triggers for special arrangements. However the things the GP I'm citing are circuitous of any actual diagnosis. One colleague even received a letter from this Doctor along the lines of "Pupil X doesn't like Mr Bloggs' class so can he be moved?"
    I for one have never seen anything like this for the kind of "medical complaints" being cited. The volume and tone of the letters suggest a newly qualified GP trying to sate a plethora of pushy parent patients.

7. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Morrissey-dude, this is interesting, could you keep us (me, at least) up to date on any developments? I'd be particularly interested if this spreads to other schools. I'm also sure there's also some ethical issue involved for the doc.

8. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

This particular example is clearly wholly inappropriate and I think warrants a formal complaint. Is the GP using time paid for by us for this?

9. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

Very interesting. I never experienced anything like this in 37 years teaching so I'm reading all this with interest - and shock!

10. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Are you sure they are from that doctor? Has the practice been contacted to check?
    Not a cynic at all, me.

11. TheBigA

TheBigA Occasional commenter

Of course the GP is charging for them! If I was you I'd have the school doctor review some of these cases and take the lead from them.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  12. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

"school doctor"?!!!

13. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Where is this doctor?

I want a note to get me out of teaching my bottom fourth years