1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Familiar with Movie Maker?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by deleted212, Jul 1, 2007.

1. I have made a movie that is one and a half hours long.

It is 692MB.

Can I fit it on a DVD?

Also, when I try to copy sections of the movie to split it into bits, I always leave behind the captions. How do I copy them as well??

2. I have made a movie that is one and a half hours long.

It is 692MB.

Can I fit it on a DVD?

Also, when I try to copy sections of the movie to split it into bits, I always leave behind the captions. How do I copy them as well??

3. silkywave

silkywave Occasional commenter

impressive! i usually dump it on the shared area at school and hope no one will notice how much memory it uses!

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

It should just fit, I think. Why not use the export options in MM? You can do all that automatically as well as specifying quality and size.

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Should fit onto a DVD-ROM, although probably not a CD-ROM.

6. Thanks.

Giraffe, I got very confused with all the export options.

It seems you can reduce the size of your movie and the quality. But when I tried this is made it ridiculously small.

7. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Can't you get 700Mb on a CD and 4Gb on a DVD?

Anyway, MM should give you the option to fit the size of file to your media - have a look

8. I'm not familiar with Movie Maker, but it depends, do you mean you're just copying the file to a DVD (in it's raw data form), or are you converting it into the appropriate DVD format beforehand?

(NB: Many DVD players these days can read files encoded with the DivX codec, but few can read anything else, meaning you'd have to convert it).

If you're converting it, then the size of the file at the moment isn't particularly important. What matters is only the file size after conversion, and this may vary wildly (either increase or decrease).

Generally, DVD's can handle 4GB (4096MB). However, even though your file is only 692MB, the conversion may cause it to increase in size beyond the 4GB limit.

9. teachur

teachur New commenter

Stadard DVD take around 4.7GB, but that is the version, like a film, that will be burnt onto it. As post 7 says, when the file is converted it might be bigger.

Nevertheless, you also need to look at the quality level with which you are bruning onto Disk as this might affect the size.

I have used Moive Maker a lot recently, but i do not burn to disk using that program. I save the "film" to my computer and then run a different program (like Sonic, or likewaise) to do the bruning for me! This program allows you to view the size of disk next to the data you want to export to it and compare it. Often you have options for the quality too.

As for the pasting bits and it leaving captions...sorry, i haven't used captions on Movie Maker yet.