1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Falsies, padded bras, gel bras ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ROSIEGIRL, Aug 27, 2011.

1. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

Daughter (19) has no boobs to speak of - very skinny. She really wants to enhance her shape a bit so we're investigating ways of giving her a chest a bit of a boost!
    I just wondered if anyone on here had tried anything and with what degree of success?
    And just the bra side of things, not plastic surgery thank you!

2. I'm not particularly well endowed and find I look rediculous in a wonderbra. Chicken fillets seem the way to go. It is possible to buy bras with them already fitted inside so that the cleavage looks natural rather than two squished together boobs.

3. Since mine disappeared as the result of weight loss and menopause, I've tried them all!
    The difference is that your daughter's, whilst small, are still pert, and as such tend to stay in their allotted space with or without support. This makes getting a decent cleavage more difficult. When you get to my age they'll go anywhere lycra and wire puts them but not necessarily in a good way.
    All she can do is go into a department store and try a huge range on until she gets the look she likes. They don't recommend that you wear the gel ones for long periods; and my GP once said that she'd seen a sharp rise in younger women patients arriving with thrush under their breasts since the popularity of t-shirt bras - too much padding to let the sweat evaporate.

4. M&S do a 2 sizes bigger bra and I think other stores have started doing similar products. I think I heard about a 3 sizes bigger bra not so long ago? These types of bras are just padded but the M&S one at least is very lightweight and comfortable.

5. Personally, I think clothes 'hang' better on small chested women. Tell her to go down the chic and elegant road and to make the most of her smallness.

:)

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Thanks Lily....that gave me a good laugh and made me forget my wine flu for a few moments!

7. I agree.

8. ROSIEGIRL

Thing is, she's not just small, she's flat.

9. If she is flat then I'm afraid no amount of chicken fillets or gel boost bras are going to make any difference. They work by enhancing and shaping what is already there.

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I think they do too. I just look like a melon smuggler and quite often just as embarassed as one that's been caught red handed.
    So many partially tailored and tailored clothes seem designed with the smaller breast in mind. . . . . . assuming that my wriggling style of gymnastics in the changing room is down to clothes that don't fit. But I suppose at 19, it's still a self conscious and tender age when it comes to acceptance of ones form, and I'd be along to M&S to see what was on offer.
    Ah. My neighbour is like this, but somehow wears the right kind of tops to draw attention away from this.

11. The Swedes and the Fins recommend beer for making boobs bigger.

Does she drink beer? :)

12. Me too. I was extremely small busted until I hit 40 and now I'm just small busted but didn't go down the padded bra route until I had surgery that removed half of one of my boobs. I wear one now if I'm in one of my self-conscious moods.
    I can see that some people would prefer to look as though they've got something there rather than nothing though.

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Is that because of the hops? Hops, apparently, has female hormone boosting qualities.

14. Maybe, Kibosh!

15. ROSIEGIRL

She's had Anorexia for 5 years so hasn't really developed at all. She choses clothes quite carefully but would really just like a bit of shape when she wants to feel a bit nicer
    I can't see the 'push up' type bras working as there's nothing to push up! So I guess it's down to the inserts or gel bras. We will investigate!
    Many thanks for all your replies.

16. You still need something there for gel bras and inserts as they go under the breasts to push them in and up.

17. ROSIEGIRL

Looks like it's the rugby socks then!

18. There's clothes hanging nicely though and then there's clothes that just gape and bag.

I'm a 32A and I find it a horrendous struggle to find clothes. Even size 6 clothes are often too big - that's in shops that actually do size 6. I can't imagine what it's like for someone even smaller than me.

I don't know how small we're talking here OP. I wear the double gel bra from La Senza and find it really comfortable. 32A is the smallest that it goes though, there is no AA. I don't like the triple gel, it's a step too far and looks really unnatural and doesn't sit properly (it rides up so what little there is that's natural almost ends up underneath it and the bra is unecessarily high with the underwire digging in somewhere around my nipple - is that TMI?!) but your daughter might have more luck. She should just go in and try them on really.

I also have a pair of silicon enhancers from Marks and Spencers. These are not like chicken fillets, they don't sit under the breast, they are round to cover the entire thing. I can't find them on the Marks and Spencer website though so maybe they have stopped making them - you might have some luck picking up the last of the stock in store though. They aren't entirely comfortable though (it's like plastic sitting directly next to your skin which is not great in terms of letting things breathe) and so they need to be kept for special occasions.

19. ROSIEGIRL

Thanks littlebird - very useful.

20. I'm quite little (size 6) and I've found a website that sells bras for smaller chested women: Www.little women.com (sorry, can't link on iPad) It does bras from size aaa.

They do a range of brands, I find the 'After Eden' and 'atlantis' bras particularly comfy.

I also try to wear clothes that have a more intricate and ruffled neckline to kind of enhance my chest area!

I hope this helps.

Ooh and little bird, miss selfridge do a size 4 which might fit better!