1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Falling to pieces in the exam

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by nandos33, Apr 15, 2012.

1. nandos33

nandos33 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I am working as a private tutor before I start an English PGCE in September. I have just got a student who recently got a D in one of his language papers at GCSE. His coursework was As and Bs but he fell apart so badly in the exam his grade went down to a D. Are there any teachers out there who have any techniques they can suggest to help him? He said it's not so much the time pressure as just being in the room, sitting in silence etc.

Many thanks.

2. Make him practise sitting in a room, doing papers in silence. Book a church hall if necessary!
    You will probably find that it is not 'sitting in a room in silence' that freaks him out, it is more the fact that he knows the paper he is sitting is 'the real thing'.
    If this is the case, then there is not much more you can do. All students get stressed when they know the paper they are sitting is 'the real thing'. One trick you could try is to explain to him that he can get as many tries as he likes at 'the real thing' by re-sitting the paper every year (twice a year). At some point he will realise that this is boring! He will do a paper, decide he has done his best, get his results & move on.