1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Falling out of love...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by tom91, Sep 15, 2019.

1. tom91

tom91 New commenter

Hi all, I have entered my 6th year of teaching. This year I have moved up to Year 4 after my last 5years being KS1 based.
    We have only been back a week and a half and already I am asking myself whether this is right for me. I love my school, staff and kids (most of the time) but I never stop thinking about work and never seem to be away.
    Ks2 is a whole different battleground and I wonder whether it is just down to being out of my comfort zone.
    The kids are great but at times their attitude and behaviour makes me think why do I bother. I spend ages

Happyregardless likes this.
  2. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

It could be worse, try teaching KS4 pupils a compulsory subject, which some of them don't like...
    Teenagers attitudes seems to be getting worse each year, unfortunately.
    Speak to other Year 4 teachers to find out the strategies they use to deal with attitude and behaviour problems.

3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

It will partly be a case of being out of your comfort zone. KS2 is hard if you're used to KS1 (and indeed vice versa!) Keep going for now and consider asking to move back to KS1 if you're still not enjoying it.
    I find they still love stickers in Year 4 if you need a way to get them on your side. Clamp down hard on anyone who isn't doing as they're asked, too.

MissKitCat likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

This tends to go in cycles. I've been teaching for over 20 years now but I've had two periods when I didn't enjoy the job. The first coincided with my parents illnesses about 6 years ago and I gave up teaching at that point to look after them.

I got back into teaching again in due course and two years ago went through another trough as the school I was in just seemed hopeless.

Then the HT resigned and we got much more competent people in to run the school - it has improved a lot and I feel much more motivated again.

5. install

install Star commenter

You need to work out whether it is KS1 that you prefer. Or have you gone off teaching ?

6. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I think it’s because you’ve been teaching KS1 too long that you are use to that scheme of work and curriculum- give it a few weeks and you’ll be fine.

agathamorse, Pomza and MissKitCat like this.
  7. MissKitCat

MissKitCat New commenter

I agree that it could be because you are out of your comfort zone. When I changed from KS2 to KS1 I found the first half term the hardest and did not enjoy teaching but by the end of the year I loved teaching in KS1 and now I would not mind if I was put in KS1 again.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Put the onus on them and the activities they are doing. I know this is but one feather in a huge eiderdown of conundrums, but I found (being the whacky, creative sort) that I would put WAY too much talent, time, effort into wonderfully creative lessons and it was often like throwing pearls before swine. Sometimes the more you put into something the more it would be trashed and the more disheartened you would feel. Kids will never pat you on the back and say well done thanks Miss. By nature they are egocentric little squirrels. Use short, simple task of different kinds to add variety but get them doing the work and don't be afraid to use tried and tested activities. If you need a creative outlet do something not connected to schools, whatever you like, writing, painting, dancing etc which would also help you forget about work for a bit.