1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Falling off the Slimming World wagon - big time!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JRTowner, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Yep I have put on al the weight which I lost at SW a while ago. I'm sure I've put on more too. Life became VERY busy for a while with moving house to live with my OH, taking on exam marking and having a hugely busy time at work including an inspection.
    They are my excuses (oh that and the fact it's more difficult to walk the dogs in the morning now because of where we are living - but this will only be temporary). What I need is advice/kick up the you know what to get me focused and back to fat club. SW DOES indeed work but I feel like a real failure and am so embarrassed about how I have sabotaged my progress.

So any advice/nagging/ dose of common sense would be much appreciated.

Thanks JRT

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

You can't change the past.
    You can change the future, so take control of it and off you go.

3. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I know how you feel! I joined SW back in 2005 and managed to lose 4.5 stone in a year. I thought I could go it alone and in the intervening 5 years have put it all back on. [​IMG] I have joined a couple of classes locally since then, but never stay that long as, quite frankly, they're full of annoying people! The consultant will be at the front, talking, and there'll be groups of fatties sitting round yapping and being 'witty' and all I want to do is tell them to shut the f*** up. Or, someone will bring their brat in, who will spend most of the session running round screaming while the mother looks on, doing sod all.
    The last straw was when I rejoined a couple of months back, and who should walk in but 2 kids from school (one was in my class last year) with their mum. I walked straight out and haven't been back!

4. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I stopped going to WW because one of the parents suddenly appeared AND was doing the weigh in.xx
    [​IMG]

5. star_bright

star_bright New commenter

I've done the same, twice now in fact. And each time I say I'll never go back to my former weight, I chuck out all my 'fatter' clothes... just to end up having to buy the same size again. I have come to realise that I can't 'go it alone'.
    I also need to be focused on it, there have been times I've shelled out for a 6 week countdown and watched my weight go up!

6. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I lost about 4 stone a few years ago and then I stopped going to SW and I put on 5 stone over a 3 year period so I ended up heavier than I started. Totally my fault. If I had kept going I would now be several years at target.
    I have started going back now and I'm doing well. This time I intend to get to target (it might take about 18 months as I have a lot to lose) and once I get there I intend to keep within a stone of it and never let myself go more than a stone over target. If I get close to going over I will go back to SW. I also intend to keep going to class occasionly when I'm at target. This time it's for good.
    To the OP, go back and get re-started. You can do it. Don't do what I did and give up just because you've put on a bit.

7. Thanks for the personal stories guys. I have much sympathy for those who went and found kids/parents of kids at their classes - how horrible!
    I have decided that I have to do this for my health and SW does actually work but I need to shift my lardy self there in the first place. I have 2 weeks left at school then a week away. I will go back to class the week I come back from hols and that leaves me 6 weeks to shift something significant before September. I will buy the countdown too and then just get on with it.
    Why am I so greedy? If I wasn't I wouldn't be in this mess. [​IMG]

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

It's because you have little will power to say "no" to those things that you like eating (not saying that is a bad thing btw).
    There is your will power...if you choose to use it.

9. Marshy you are right - will power is something I am lacking in. And yes my health is what I need to focus upon when I am thinking about reaching for the extra helping of whatever.
    I have wondered about having hypnotherapy to help me with the will power aspect. Has anyone got any experience of this?

10. DM

DM New commenter

Never mind, you can always console yourself with one of the Wagon Wheels.

11. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Easier said than done though... I'd look at my daily diet and give it a tweak (firstly) then work out what I crave and try to substitute for something less calorific.

12. I really need to lose 3 1/2 stone to get to a healthy weight. Any suggestions?

13. Surgery can be effective:
    [​IMG]
    cyolba, always willing to tell people to stop being so fricking weak :)

14. Cyolba - does that come free on the NHS?

Marshy I intend to do that over the next three weeks (including when I am away on hols) and then step up a gear by going back to SW.
    I know what my weaknesses are: going out for meals, portion size and snacking at school when everyone brings in cakes and biscuits to the staff room. Weight loss has to begin in your head and I feel geared up for it so starting being sensible from tomorrow morning.

15. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I hope my comment didn't come across as preachy or "teaching granny to suck eggs" as that isn't my intention... you seem to know what you're doing :)

16. No, not at all Marshy. Sometimes we just need to be reminded about the most fundamental of things.

I read something from Cat Deeley (of all people) the other day and she said that no one naturally has a perfect figure - they have to consciously work at it through diet and exercise and I thought to myself she is absolutely spot on. What makes me think I can trough like there's no tomorrow and still expect to be thin? It's nuts! So the old will power is being dusted off at 6.00 am when I grab the dogs and give them an early walk. I don't know who will be most shocked - me or them! [​IMG]

17. JRT, when you go shopping, plan what the meals are going to be for the week, so that you buy things that 'go together', if you know what I mean? I find that the more organised I am, the better and healthier my eating is....batch cook and freeze, so that you can pull something healthy out of the freezer, rather than eating rubbish x

18. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Go for it :)

19. Sunflower I used to plan ahead but now that I no longer live alone things aren't as simple. I do need to plan from now on though and I am not going to allow any excuses get in my way.
    Marshy - I intend to. Thanks for the support guys. [​IMG]