1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Falling numbers

Discussion in 'Music' started by florian gassmann, Aug 23, 2018.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Today's GCSE results reveal that entries for GCSE Music have fallen from a peak of 61,997 in 2007 to 35,021 in 2018. This year's total is down by 7,608 on last year.
    All boards have lost music candidates, but AQA have faired worst, having lost 4,664 this year.
    The largest board for music (Edexcel) is down by 2,471 candidates this year.

A-level music candidates (including music technology) have fallen from a peak of 10,682 in 2008 to 5,530 in 2018.

2. Roando

Roando New commenter

That's very interesting. I think many cold see this coming. But, how very sad - what a difference 10 years makes. Colleagues in HE haven't mentioned drops in undergraduate numbers so I wonder what's happening there?

3. florian gassmann

A number of university music departments have closed in recent years. Just from memory I can think of:

Kent
    UEA
    Kingston
    Exeter
    Reading
    Lancaster
    Coventry

4. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I’ve heard of some (state) secondary schools not offering Music beyond Year 8 and scrapping GCSE and A Level courses so the pupils can’t choose Music even if they want to.
    Is this another sign of the philosophy that Maths, English and Science are the most important things in the world and other subjects - especially the arts - don’t matter at all?

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

That and saving money by reducing choice (targeting smaller courses). Short-sighted in my view given what strong musical presence can bring to a school.

6. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Tragic. The loss of free or subsidised instrumental lessons in schools and especially in primary schools is also a factor. Good players at secondary school begin in primary! Soon music will be something that only private schools do. I am eternally grateful for the wonderful music service in my area. (Still there but massively depleted.)

7. florian gassmann

Very occasionally, better news breaks through, such as the following story reported by the BBC last week, but I don't know how many head teachers take on board such messages:

A primary school in a deprived part of Bradford has gone from failing school to success story. The transformation, it says, is down to a decision to rebuild its curriculum around music.