1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Falling numbers, fewer classes

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by num3bers, Oct 8, 2018.

1. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

This isnt my problem but it could apply to a number of staff where I work if the issue continues.

What rules apply ( if any) if you find yourself without enough lessons to be full time or ( if part time ) to fill your timetable?

Does the school have to give you notice or give you pay in lieu for a time or can it just sack you or reduce your hours without notice. What about you - do you have to accept it and give normal notice or can you just walk out on the grounds reduced hours means you cannot afford to stay?
    This seems to be happening to a couple of staff whose GCSE/ A level subjects have had no uptake this year. Its left them short of classes and In one case halved their classes and the other reduced them by four lessons. In both cases the year started with classes but pupils decided to opt to other subjects which left the classes not running

No one seems to know where they stand. The school is saying they can cut hours and pay with immediate effect. We have to give a terms notice to leave. Can the school just tell them they are now half time or reduced and pay accordingly or do they have to give them notice ( both are permanent contracts and stated off this year with their normal hours). Is there a rule about this?

Thanks for any advice.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It sounds to be that this could be a redundancy situation, with a need for the proper process to be in place and compensation for those who lose their jobs, if they have two or more years' service. Full time teachers may be offered the option of going part time. Due notice would still need to be given, whatever is in your contract. They cannot just fire you or reduce your pay without notice. If your contracts allow the employer to give a lot less notice than staff, that may be seen to be illegal.

I recall hearing the idea that part time teachers can have their hours changed by 10%. I have no idea if it is true. Of course, something like this could be written into contracts.

The only practical advice any of us can really give you is to make sure you have an expert on your side. Involving a union is the usual best way forward.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

Thank you. There is nothing odd in the contracts. I can recall a redundancy procedure once before several years ago over something similar , when there were two subject teachers and only one was needed. In this case though its one teacher who has lost an A level class and another who has not recruited in GCSE thus dropping their timetable hours .

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Straight on to unions. I don't think they can have their hours cut without going via proper redundancy procedures and without due notice - which if the school operates on a full term's notice means not before Easter.

A more normal reaction would be to fill up their timetables with lessons in another subject. They're probably not going to like that either, but there's less they can do about it. Some people might prefer to go part-time!

FrankWolley and JohnJCazorla like this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Perhaps the school is stirring the pot in the hope that 'volunteers' will come forward. However the posters above are correct and a formal process of redundancy is the only legal way to do this. Definitely union advice required.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I'd agree with posts #4 & #5.

I'd also join a union today, if I wasn't in one...

Piranha likes this.