1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Falkland Islands

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by chill4thenew, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,
    Looking with interest at the jobs advertised in the Falkland Islands! Can anyone share any experiences of living/working there? I have done a search but struggling to find much up to date information! Any help on things such as cost of living and what it is like would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Hi Guys,
    Looking with interest at the jobs advertised in the Falkland Islands! Can anyone share any experiences of living/working there? I have done a search but struggling to find much up to date information! Any help on things such as cost of living and what it is like would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

3. Did you apply? I was really interested in moving there too!

Steve.

4. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I know this may be a bit odd- but I think there may be a Falklands group on Mumsnet or netmums.
    You may want to either (ahem) sign up or get a female friend or relative to do it for you.
    BPG

5. Cheers! Though my user name is Mr S Windows so when squashed together is does look like Mrs Windows, shh dont tell mumsnet!

6. Anyone else thinking of this one?

7. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Nope looks like the jobs all yours.
    If transport links to S America were better I'd possibly have a ponder on it but It just seems almost impossible to get to anywhere from the Falklands.
    I've previously spent 4 years in Riyadh and I'd say if you have the right attitude for working overseas then even the most challenging country can be enjoyed. Go for it.

8. oxfordblue

oxfordblue New commenter

There is a weekly flight to Chile (Santiago), and twice weekly MOD Aribridge flights to RAF Brize Norton.
    The Falklands unfriendly neighbour makes anymore transport links to S. America pretty much impossible. There is talk of a weekly flight link to Miami but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much!
    I've lived and taught in the Falklands and think it's an amazing place - definitely worth a visit!

9. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi oxfordblue and OP,
    I also applied for it amd hope that there is more than one post being recruited for!
    Best of luck to all concerned.
    BPG

10. Wow you worked there. I did not apply in the end as I thought it might be a little too quiet a place to stay for two years. Also the transport links would have made regular trips home very difficult. I would love to hear about your experiences there. Maybe in the future....

11. Anyone heard back from this one?

12. Sorry to hear that. Its a big move and if you have got your self all geared up to go and you don't make it it must take the wind out of your sales!