1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"faking" illness

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by ml01omm, May 19, 2013.

1. ml01omm

ml01omm New commenter

Hi

Sorry for all the posts - but I haven't really got anyone else to ask as my mentor has given up on behaviour.

I have a year 7 class, who I teach just before lunch on a Monday. Every single week, without fail, ( always during this lesson, not on the Wednesday lesson) the same 3 or 4 pupils come up to me, and tell me they do't feel well. It is like clock work, happens so often that I really don't think it that it can be genuine.

This is usually a generic " I feel sick" or "I have a headache/my head hurts." At first I was letting them go to the medical room, and then I wised-up and stopped letting them go during the lesson.

The upshot, is, they either then go before the lesson and then turn up late with a note from the nurse telling them to 'just sit quietly and not do any work'. Or, they start the lesson fine, and as soon as we hit something difficult, or something they don't want to do, they suddenly start feeling ill, and complain about it non stop ,moaning that I am unsympathetic, which then sets off all the people sitting near them, who start screaming 'ooooo no, don't let him be sick on me"

Of course, on the occasions when another pupil genuinely does look a bit green or ill, and I tell them to just sit queitly, I get accused of being unfair/ favortisim.

Basically I just don't know what to do with the 'fakers' as I can't prove they are genuinely not feeling ill, but at the moment it is really disruptive, not to mention they are barely doing anywork.

2. MisterW

MisterW New commenter

You need to start speaking to other people to sort this one out. Speak to the nurse and tell him/her that you have noticed this pattern and see if they have noticed anything themselves. School medical staff ought to be very familiar with pupils trying to pull a fast one. If you flag this up the medical staff ought to be a little less sympathetic to the pupils in future unless there is a genuine medical problem, which they ought to be able to identify. You could also speak to the relevent form tutors and see if this is happening in any other lessons and if necessary you could make a polite phone call to parents if this persists.

Stand firm with letting kids leave the class. If you're not convinced they need to leave, don't let them (it's the same with leaving to go to the toilet). Ignore the complaints of the others and if this constitutes a form of rudness/disruptive behaviour then treat it as such.

3. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Contact home. Tell them that their child's illnesses are interfering with their education. Either way, the parent has been informed of something important- their child is ill or their child is a loafer. Win/ win :)

Good luck

4. I know it might be a strange question, but what time is your lunch?