1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fake Tan

Discussion in 'Personal' started by disguise, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Does anyone use this and do it themselves? I have put some on that goes on bronze then develops over a few hours. My legs already don't look as brown as my arms and this seems to happen a lot - even with the moisturiser stuff. Any ideas why?

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Never plucked up the courage to do it to myself but did do my daughter when she was about 14. BIG MISTAKE! She's 21 now and still hasn't forgiven me.
    Possibly arms are exposed to air/sun more than legs?

3. Wait a bit longer then reapply to your legs only.
    My legs are always the last part of my body to turn brown, whether in sun or with bronzer.

4. Yeah that's make sense with a natural tan but I've literally just put this on! Maybe it will develop ok - I can't wash the 'guide' colour off til morning. This stuff is much better than usual though. Because it's coloured, you can see where you have put it on unlike usual fake tans. I just look dirty currently but am hoping in the morning when it's washed off I shall glow lol! It only cost me a few quid too and came highly recommended.

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I've tried it once or twice but don't suit it, as I'm so fair skinned. My legs were always patchy with it but my arms tanned up a treat. My legs are particularly dry, so maybe that's it.
    The body moisturisers with a small amount of built in tan works best, at least in my case. Johnsons Holiday Skin was good, as I recall (been years since I've used anything like that!).

6. This is a good idea.

I am also quite fair but dye my hair a slightly lighter shade to my natural colour to hide premature greys and last summer when I went away and came back with a slight tan, my colleagues told me that I suited a tan!

7. I never go very dark - more sunkissed ;o)
    I often tend to just use a bronzer on my legs - the rest of my body tends to take on a wee bit of colour naturally.
    Looks naff if you still have cheesy legs, though.

8. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Cheesy legs?! [​IMG]
    Do you mean peely wally, hen?

9. I hate what I call 'driver arm' in the summer!

10. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hoping CQ's inner Glaswegian understands the above or I'll feel like a bit of an eejit [​IMG]

11. ROFLMAO!

12. No worries, I understood.
    When I was a wee bairn and in a bad mood, Grandad would always tell me to get rid of my peely-wally smile or he'd give me a red and shiney hinney.

13. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Fake tan is a mystery to me. Who coined the trend to dip coat oneself?

14. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

[​IMG] You can't beat a bit of lovin', Glasgow style!

15. No idea. I don't go mad with it - I am not an orange kinda girl, I just like a glow. It makes you look slimmer. Fact. Maybe that's why people love it.

16. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I seriously might have to do some geeky goggling into this. I mean, in the victorian times anything beyond a shade of pale was very much frowned upon and any hint of a sun tan was associated with out door labour etc. Will have to look up when this rise in the desire to be browner came about....

17. ah well, I wasn't born into posh society. Great grandad was a rivet chucker down Glasgow docks.
    I shall stick with my summer-time, gentle sunkissed look. I can be white in the winter.

18. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Your tan (or lack of) tells other people how much leisure time you have,(or money to go on posh foreign holidays), either to sit around in the sun all day, or to sit around under a parasol all day avoiding having to work in t' fields... . I believe it was coco Chanel who made the sun fan popular - was it the 20s? I use a bit of bronzed on my legs only ( the rest of me colours enough for me not to dazzle passing traffic in a sunny day) - it's a tinted moisturiser by st tropez. Other stuff I've tried hasn't so much been streaky as a bizarre colour on me. Not liking the whole weird orange fake tan look. Not limit that at all.

19. There's a strange psychology behind fake and real tans, with people trying to make others think they're wealthy enough to afford to go on extended holidays in sunny climes, or even more interestingly, white people wishing to change their skin colour to something like Mediterranean or Middle Eastern. This is a far cry from the past, when it is was desirable to be pale, as a tan indicated that you worked in the fields and were obviously poor, hence the American term "rednecks" for rural southerners. That's how I see things, anyway.

20. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I have a problem in that I am very pale, but with olive undertones and a dad with very Mediterranean-looking skin, so I tan deeply and well when I go on holiday somewhere hot. But no amount of false tan can give me a nice-looking tan. Even though my natural tan is quite dark, if I use the dark tone of the false tan, I look like I've been tangoed. But the pale shade barely changes my colour at all.
    The only solution is to go on holiday somewhere hot. Hmmmm.....