1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fake tan!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lillipad, Aug 4, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I've got a wedding this weekend and have embarrassingly white legs. I never go brown and so i've invested in fake tan and thought i'd have a practice with it tonight! Any suggestions or tips?! I'm a bit scared!

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I've got a wedding this weekend and have embarrassingly white legs. I never go brown and so i've invested in fake tan and thought i'd have a practice with it tonight! Any suggestions or tips?! I'm a bit scared!

3. 1. Make sure you shave and exfoliate first.
    2. Ensure you've really 'cooled down' after your shower before you apply it - if you apply with open pores you can get a polka-dot look

3. The spray on ones are really good but take a while to develop. I LOVE the garnier one. I'm also really pale but I buy the one for medium/dark skin so I don't have to apply it twice before any colour shows

Happy Tanning

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Exfoliate thoroughly first. Moisturise knees, ankles and soles of feet first, then keep on blending the tan for far longer than you think necessary. Finally use a damp cotton wool pad towipe around the sides of the feet and around heels and between toes to remove excess. Do the tan tonight if possible, so if there are any mistakes you can exfoliate and remedy before hte wedding.

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Ok... So do i need to allow a fair amount of time to do this?

I've read on various websites loads of different things, mainly concerning knees and ankles- to dilute it with normal moisturizer, should I do this?

I also bought a ridiculously overpriced mitt- do i just splodge it on the mitt and then on my leg or what?!

Sorry, am an absolute virgin and as i'm a bridesmaid, don't want my legs to be the talking point of the wedding! ha!

6. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Don't do it! Embrace your pale legs. Fake tan is bad.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

God knows I've tried often enough but fake tan just doesn't work on my legs - it is always patchy no matter how thoroughly I prepare them - for some reason different areas of my legs absorb the tan well and others don't absorb it at all.
    There's nothing wrong with pale legs - that's my new mantra after decades of keeping them covered.

8. I'd start tonight...Will give you a good idea of the colour.

If its too dark you can scrub it off a little, too light and you can add another coat.

I spary all my legs with the garnier stuff and then splodge on some moistuiser with a hint of fake tan (dove usually) - so that both products are all over over my legs together. Then I rub in circle motions with the mit. Works a treat :eek:)

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I've found the spray a real disaster last year as after spraying it,it basically run downwards,creating streaks and making my feet very dark with white patches. I looked a right sight. Maybe,it's just me!

10. Did you rub it in catmother?? On the bottles it says you don't have to but, I find it works better if you do.

11. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Well I usually embrace my pale skin, and don't chase tans and usually top up factor 50 lol.

I think what i'm going to do is mix it up with moisturizer so it's not so strong in colour and hopefully will spread evenly, thus giving me a glow rather than hue de orange!

12. You fake tan the soles of your feet???

13. Or you could apply the moisturiser with a hint of tan and build it up untill you're happy with it?

14. Or you could buy some tinted moisturiser, then if you make a horrible mistake, you can wipe it off.

15. Which tan have you bought? I've tried all sorts and now swear by my mitt. Follow the tips about exfoliating and shaving, then waiting. I put moisturiser all over my feet, hands, knees and elbows and let it soak in. Beware oil based moisturisers or any scrubs or shower gels that leave an oily residue on you skin. I once made this error with a shea butter scrub, left grease only skin. Use the mitt to apply if it's a lotion, ensuring every possible area is covered, streaks only happen when areas are either missed or the skin is dry and so more absorbent. If it all goes wrong - mix lemon and vodka then rub onto affected areas. If still not right, drink said vodka and lemon with a splash of tonic. Enjoy your wedding :)

16. Crowbob

Exactly right!
    I never look at a female's legs and think "too pasty" but I often look and think "tangoed".

17. Pale blemish free skin = beautiful

My pale legs = grey or spam like.

Crowbob, please don't discriminate based on skin colour, even orange people have feelings (like oompa loompas!)

18. Crowbob

spam is still preferable to tango.

19. One can always tell. Maybe it's the soles of the feet that are the giveaway...

20. Crowbob

Maybe I should spend less time looking at women's legs.