1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fake instagram profile of myself has been created by some pupils where I work, need advice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by bolly1, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Confused why some people think it wouldn't be possible to do this. It's quite trivial setting up an impersonation profile in insta and making sure it is easily found with public settings and the right tags.

A little photoshop manipulation from one or two publically found photos (school website maybe) and a whole host of images of a person in different situations can be created. No need to take photos in class.

If the images created were obscene then you should expect the school to refer it to the police. At that time they may not have known how many people were sharing the account details to post. Not that should matter, especially if they were using school computers to create/upload images.

Regarding suing for deformation, then unless it has caused substantial harm I can't see it worth pursuing. Its likely to take a long time and cost a fair big to get it through the civil courts and even then there's no guarantee you'll get a payment back.

2. balletomane

balletomane New commenter

This happened to a few teachers at my sixth-form not long after I'd left. A group of lads harvested the publicly available profile photos from those teachers' Facebook pages and used them to create duplicate accounts. Staff found out who was behind it because other pupils reported them. This was years ago, and I'm surprised that people here are so sceptical about this sort of thing happening - I would have expected it be pretty common behaviour.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would certainly hope not.o_O

Jesmond12 likes this.
  4. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

The OP (for good or bad) has linked their name to TES profile - 20 years behaviour management LEA, 15 years manager director of Tutor Business, 18 years director of lettings business, 2 years financial analyst and much more.... Yet they are unsure what to do regarding fake instagram account?

minnie me, Lara mfl 05 and mothorchid like this.
  5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

You could report it to the HT but you need evidence that a pupil has created this. If you go no satisfaction in the way that the school will deal/have dealt with this, then, as long as you’re certain that it’s a pupil then you could technically refer it to the police.
    It would be classed as fraud as they’ve created a fake account and are posting ‘on your behalf’.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It would only be fraud if they were trying to gain a financial benefit from it. If there is a crime being committed here, it is probably similar to revenge ****. But I doubt if it really is of interest to the police.

7. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

This happened to me last year and the police told me that this was a facebook issue, not a police matter. The only thing the police did was investigate whether certain people who did this had issues with the police before.

pepper5, agathamorse and Piranha like this.
  8. Hi dear, i guess someone have used a fake instagram profile generator to prank you. Now a days people are making real looking fake instagram posts from here. https://generatestatus.com/generate-fake-instagram-post/

pepper5 likes this.
  9. Figmo

Figmo New commenter

You are a cynical bunch. It's easy to create a fake Instagram profile. And photoshop rude pictures using pics gleaned from school website/personal fb -whatever.

You are all pretty naive if you think this doesn't happen regularly to teachers !

jlishman2158 and pepper5 like this.
  10. MrsBridgewater

MrsBridgewater New commenter

This happened to me 8 or 9 years ago on FB. They opened the account in my 'Teacher name' not my real name - I really struggled to get FB to do anything as it appeared to be a normal account in a different name to my own name. The fact that it listed my address as my classroom number didn't sway them - but anyone searching for me as Mrs Teacher name woudl have assumed that I was friends with half of year 9.

I had to threaten police involvement to get the school to do anything - and then it was just to confirm that I taught using that name. The pupils suffered no consequences :-(

pepper5 likes this.
  11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Given the recent publicity concerning how little the police do about crimes such as theft and fraud, I would be surprised if they did anything useful in circumstances like this.

12. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Taking photos unknown in a classroom is very easy where pupils are expected to use ipades for work.

13. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Pupils took photos of me on the way to school

14. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

There is nothing illegal about taking photos in a public place.

15. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

So what then if they used that shot to write something really nasty and post it so that all and sundry could see it?

pepper5 likes this.
  16. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

You see I well remember the unflattering pencil notes passed around at school of horses with broken backs entitled " I see Miss has been riding again" which we all found so funny aged 12 but I fear nowadays things are far more serious with images manipulated to show staff who have been the victim of such "japes."

pepper5 likes this.
  17. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

The photo in itself isn't illegal. If they then post something that harms your reputation in some way, that's a separate issue and the fact that the photo is included is merely secondary.

pepper5 likes this.
  18. ronnieg

ronnieg New commenter

We had this with FB a few years ago

pepper5 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.