1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Faith schools and their possible impact on future jobs.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dominant_tonic, Feb 1, 2011.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

A job has come up in a faith school, quite a strict Christian school, that I really want to apply for to do my nqt year.
    However I am worried about how my time there would be seen by non-religous secondary schools when the time comes to move on.
    As far as I am concerned it is a standard secondary school subject to the same professional standards as any other school, and therefore it being a faith school should not have a negative impact on future jobs, but am I being hopelessly naive?
    I am not thinking people will not employ me because of my faith, but rather will they see it as odd that I chose a faith school, think that I only got the job not because of my ability because of my religion, or think I am out of touch with current practices? These are the things that concern me. Notthe faith aspect per se.
    Any ideas and thoughts very welcome. If there are any heads or HoD out there I would be interested to know what you think when an application lands on your desk from somebody working in a strict faith school.
    Thanks,
    D_T

2. dominant_tonic

A job has come up in a faith school, quite a strict Christian school, that I really want to apply for to do my nqt year.
    However I am worried about how my time there would be seen by non-religous secondary schools when the time comes to move on.
    As far as I am concerned it is a standard secondary school subject to the same professional standards as any other school, and therefore it being a faith school should not have a negative impact on future jobs, but am I being hopelessly naive?
    I am not thinking people will not employ me because of my faith, but rather will they see it as odd that I chose a faith school, think that I only got the job not because of my ability because of my religion, or think I am out of touch with current practices? These are the things that concern me. Notthe faith aspect per se.
    Any ideas and thoughts very welcome. If there are any heads or HoD out there I would be interested to know what you think when an application lands on your desk from somebody working in a strict faith school.
    Thanks,
    D_T

3. I don't think you have anything to worry about IME.
    As an atheist, I was employed at a faith school, and subsequently at a non-faith school.
    (Are you in the UK now? Bad memory!!)

4. But I suppose it depends on your definition of 'strict'. Hopefully someone else might be able to clarify?

5. dominant_tonic

Hi coalwoman, thanks for replying.
    That's what I thought. I am thinking that as long as the curriculum is the same and as long as the resources etc are similar, then it shouldn't make that much of an impact. That's two of us thinking along the same lines, and you have experience of it which helps.
    I was hoping for a wider response, but I think I phrased the thread title wrongly, as it could read as a bit of a whinge of something that should be on opinion. Either that or people just aren't interested in the topic which is fair enough.
    Might start another thread with a better title and link to this one, people are free not to open it - two threads is harldy flooding the board I think. I will see if upping it gets any more responses.
    I am not back as yet. Despite all the longing to come back, and clearance from the bosses to leave as soon as they found cover, I think an awful Christmas at home helped to send me back with a better outlook [​IMG] Less than a 100 days to go now :)
    I emailed the school in question because the closing date is imminent and explained I would not be able to make it home for an interview due to the length and cost of flight and my commitments here. I asked if they thouhgt there was any way they could accommodate my application and they amiled me an info pack. SO either they will comsider it, or it was a school secretary just not reading my email properly and sending it out regardless. We will see.
    I have mixed feelings about coming back now, and definitely want to move away so at least it frees me up to the whole of UK (bar Scotland).
    Anyway, enough wittering, thanks for the reponse,
    D_T

6. My first job was as the music teacher in a catholic secondary school - I am not catholic. When I moved to a head of department job I had interviews for 3 posts and just happened to end up in a catholic school again. After more than 25 years working in a catholic schools I moved to a non church school. It wasn't an issue although It has taken me quite a while to get used to not providing music for services and key times in the church year. The only thing that did happen was a complaint and I had to apologise when I used christmas songs in a lesson not knowing that there was a Jehovah's witness pupil in the class - this was obviously something I had not come across before.

7. dominant_tonic

Ah. Fretless, thank you. It is a music NQT post I am applying for. Ooh, the services - hadn't thought of that :-( Piano practise it is then!
    it's good to know it made no difference - I was pretty sure it wouldn't, but with the job climate how it is, i don't want to make myself unemployable a few years from now.
    All this is pie in the sky, and I suspect because I am still overseas nothing will come of it anyway, but I will apply nonetheless.
    Will begin the application form now :)
    Thanks for replying xx

8. They usually ask/want to know that you will be willing to be involved in organising the music for services. It doesn't have to mean you on the piano - I was fortunate enough to have a group of pupils who were keen musicians and more that willing to help provide the music for quite a few years and all I had to do was rehearse them. Good luck!