1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

faith school... who should I use as a referee?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nikilala, Jan 18, 2016.

1. nikilala

nikilala New commenter

Hi
    I am applying for an EYFS position at a faith school.
    It asks for the third referee to be a pastor or other referee. I am not religious and therefore do not have a pastor to ask so who should I be listing as my third referee?
    Many thanks
    Nov

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Usually this is an added extra. By this I mean that you have two professional references and a faith one, if applicable.

You could just try ringing or emailing the school, saying that you have no referee who can support your religious commitment, so should you provide a character referee or just leave it blank.

If the answer is leave it blank, then write in the space for 3rd referee "As advised by M's X when I rang the school, I am leaving this blank."

By the way, have you found all the application advice articles? If not then tag me @TheoGriff .

Best wishes

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

If you do not have a parish priest or vicar to give you a reference, then it is fine to leave it blank.
    Thee third referee is aimed at candidates who are catholic or C of E. You do not have to be religious to work in a faith school but you will be expected to fully support the ethos of the school.
    Good luck!

4. pwarps23

pwarps23 New commenter

would you say this is the sa,e for headteacher applications?

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ah.

Well, @pwarps23 , many HT applications for faith schools include being a practising member of the church as a desirable or even essential item on their person specification . . .

As they are allowed to, in law.

So in one case you are disqualified and in the other disadvantaged.

Best wishes

6. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

For HT posts in Catholic schools it is essential that the candidates are practising Catholics. Unfortunately, you will not be considered at all for the post if you are not. You would not secure an interview.
    Are you applying for a HT post?