1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Faith in Action - year 6

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by beckyf, Sep 7, 2011.

1. My head has now decided that after 6 years of a part time teacher teaching RE during PPA time that each teacher should now plan and teach RE. I am new to Year 6 and having new taught RE since qualifying am seriosuly struggling. I have been given an overivew that simple says.
    Autumn 1: faith in Action: Look at how famous individuals teachings and examples in their lives have had an impact on others too. Key values include: courage, forgiveness, peace, self sacrifice, commitment and love.
    I have no ideas where to start . I only have 1 hour to teach each week but if anyone can point in the right direction i would be extremely grateful.
    Thanks in advance.

2. make it as relevant as possible: get an outside speaker in (perhaps a charity/fraith based organisation) to talk about the outreach/aid work they do, with a foundation in faith. A bit more contemporary than looking at 'old saints', I think.
    You might also want to give opportunities for students to explore how they themselves could take action from faith. perhaps by focusing on one of the key values you've given above; what could they do themselves that related to this?

3. Look at people like Martin Luther King, Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Oscar Romero and their equivelants in other religions.