1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fairy tales

Discussion in 'Primary' started by crazycatlady101, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Hi guys, Merry Christmas!!
    I'm thinking about re-jigging my fairy tales unit for after Christmas. I normally do 3 Little Pigs, Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks and Jack and the Beanstalk, with the assessment based on Jack and the beanstalk - they go on an adventure, get some magic beans, what happens next.
    However, the kids must be sick of these fairy tales, they are covered in nursery, reception and year 2. This year I have started with Little Red Riding Hood (as we have a visit from a theatre company in the 2nd week), then I'm thinking about moving onto Hansel and Gretel, making a gingerbread house and using that as a starter for descriptive writing.
    I've tried in the past to do Snow White and Cinderella, but I think the stories are too long and big for 1 weeks work.
    Has anyone got any ideas for other fairy tales?
    Thanks!

2. I've used Rapunzel before which worked well, that was in Reception.
    My theme next term is turrets and tiaras so we are starting with The Princess and the pea,
    The enormous turnip, could be good for growing things and sequencing though I'm not sure if that is more 'traditional tales' than fairy tales?
    Hansel and Gretel as you mentioned is a really good idea for something different.
    I used to love Rumpelstiltskin as a child, though I'm not 100% sure where you could take this.

Hope that helps a bit anyway, I'll have a think of some others

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I teach year 2, but this thread gives you lots of ideas for various tales when I asked a few days ago.

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/540316.aspx?PageIndex=7#7175236

4. Thank you, not sure how I missed your thread minnieminx [​IMG] It's got some good ideas there. Think I'm going to steer clear of Goldilocks, however appealing making porridge sounds though, as I know reception and year 2 also teach that story.
    I'm feeling inspired![​IMG]

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I'm doing Hansel and Gretel now and have properly planned the first week of maths and literacy (only 3 days) and am soooo excited now! Glad I asked and changed everything.

Rumplestiltskin is second choice for if I can't get enough work from Hansel and Gretel or if the topic works so well, I want to carry it on after half term.

Fairy door on order, but yeps, making porridge is still soooo appealing.