1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fairy Tales ideas

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by JenpenB, Feb 15, 2011.

1. We are doing a topic next half term on Fairy Tales and i wanted to make it a bit more boy-friendly as we have very few girls. We are doing Cinderella, Rapunzel, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, but i was hoping to include lots of other activities related to Castles, Knights, Dragons and Princes. Any ideas?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

There are loads of fairy tales with boy heroes, the most obious being Jack! I'd cut down on the girl-friendly tales and replace them with a couple of boy-friendly ones.
    There are lots of womderful fairy-tale collections that go beyond the usual suspects.

3. Rumplestiltskin
    Aladdin
    Beauty and the beast
    Frog Prince
    Hansel and Gretel
    Pinnochio
    Pied Piper
    Gingerbread man
    Puss in boots
    Billy goats gruff

4. sadika

sadika New commenter

Last year I had a high proportion of boys and they really enjoyed the stories involving castles - we made a wall display of a castle - 3D out of various boxes (cubes, cuboids, cylinders, cones - lots of opportunity for shape language) and found out about life "long ago". Role play area was a castle too - held banquets, wrote invitations to them and tournaments too, designed and made shields, got some hobby horses for the knights to ride on ... Lots of learning and enjoyment going on.

5. sadika

sadika New commenter

PS One boy so interested he mithered his parents to take him to a castle and he wrote his own captions to the photos they took on their visit.

6. This forum is great. Haven't used it before, but really glad i did.
    Thanks for all the great ideas. Like the idea of the 3D display. We are going to have a role-play castle and are going to encourage the children to decide how we should design it, and how to make it look like a castle. It will be our challenge for the first week!!