1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

fairy cakes basic recipe - question about eggs

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Milkandchalk, May 2, 2011.

1. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

I'm using the recipe of 2 eggs to 100g of everything else.
    I've got 2 egg whites left over from making cookies earlier.
    Can I use them instead of 2 of the eggs? I've doubled the recipe so I've got 200g of everything

2. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

I'm using the recipe of 2 eggs to 100g of everything else.
    I've got 2 egg whites left over from making cookies earlier.
    Can I use them instead of 2 of the eggs? I've doubled the recipe so I've got 200g of everything

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Not really. You need whole eggs in most cakes. Fairy cakes are just basic sponge cake made in small portions!
    A foolproof method which takes into account doubling or trebling of quantities, and different egg sizes is to weigh the eggs in their shells, and use this weight for all other ingredients, butter, sugar and flour.
    Perfect!

4. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I didn't understand that you meant use exactly the same weight belle until the previous poster (whose name I now cannot read) explicitly said that. That makes much more sense and seems SO much easier!! Interesting that the old imperial ratios are nothing like the metric ones - maybe that's why my victoria sponges are ever particularly great but are distinctly average. I will try this method out next time - thanks!

5. Although I teach the kids at school the 2 eggs = 100g each of flour, fat & sugar. They also learn & do the weigh their eggs & then calculate their other ingredients - it is especially true for swiss rolls when it is 1 egg = 25g sugar & 25g flour (no fat)