1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fair? - Interview lesson observation - only one person

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mykalmykal, May 18, 2011.

1. HI All

I recently had an interview for the position of teacher and the lesson observation was conducted by the headteacher only. All my previous interviews with lesson observations have involved more than one person observing.

Is it normal, fair or legal that only one person can make this judgement on your teaching?

Any advice or links or experience gratefully received

Thankyou

M

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Normal? In my experience, completely. As a head I've either done it myself (by myself) or delegated it to a deputy or (as I'm secondary) AST or Head of dept.
    Fair? Absolutely. The head is the head teacher and it's his/her principal job to assess standards in the school. As part of your training have observations always involved two or more people? And that's a situation where your fitness to be allowed QTS is determined!
    Legal? Are you imagining there's some law about this? Heads can assess the suitability of prospective teachers in whatever way they wish - there are no 'laws' or regulations about it.

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Totally normal, totally legal, totally fair. It's what will happen when you become a teacher.
    You might also be observed by the deputy, or by a class teacher with a subject leadership responsibility.
    They're all well qualified to know what good learning looks like.
    I presume, by your question, that the response was less than positive?
    Perhaps you would have preferred an ofsted inspector?

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

*cough*discrimination laws*cough*
    I don't think a woman is suitable for the post! Nor somebody with a disability! Nor a homosexual! Nor a Jew! Nor a crinkly!

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Sorry for that moment of being overly picky... [​IMG]
    Unnecessary. Sorry.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You totally missed my point - I meant 'Using whatever methods' (i.e. interview, lesson observation done by only one person, written task, presentation, etc).
    I did NOT mean they can make the decision based on discriminatory beliefs, feelings or grounds.
    By the way - they can conduct the entire interview process on their own if they want, too.

7. becky70

becky70 New commenter

Yes to all three.
    Schools decide how they conduct their selection process - at some schools you'll be watched by 2 or 3 schools, at some schools they may not watch you teach at all. I've never been to or heard of an interview where the head wasn't involved but they may not be involved in everything e.g. they may not watch your lesson but they may interview you.

8. Thank you for all the responses - most helpful.