1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failure

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kezwhi, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Thanks greta and to all who have helped me manage muddled thoughts into clear ones.

I'd thought I'd better rectify my spelling mistake of the word narky as I'm sure some obnoxious so and so would be very quick to slate me for the error.

I'm so pleased there are kind hearted and understanding people out there as I've most certainly not come across any for a very long time.

2. <u>Hi there</u>
    good luck in your new-found freedom - I am sure your baby in your womb is feeling calmer and more reslaxed because you are now a lot less stressed and anxious - maternal stress during pregnancy and during the first few years is toxic to children's health, so relax, put on some music and have some fun during the Easter break - if you cant get to work part time, take a couple of years sabbatical or do some tutoring from home in the evenings and weekends - your partner could look after the children for you- there is financial advice and support available if a cut in income makes it difficult- contact citizens advice - also you could take in a lodger if you have space - students are generally easy going, and might help babysit. Teaching is too highly stressed a profession to combine with raising healthy, happy children, and you can never go back in time to put things right. Maybe in 5 years time teaching will be less pressurised, and you will be able to go back to work full-time.

All the best
    charkeythecatxxxx

3. Having a daughter 18mths I know how knackering having ONE is sometimes... Am I the only person who thinks this goes beyond a work question... You're certainly not a failure - but I do wonder about the thinking around you and your partner's choice of having three kids under three...

4. I notice my post saying something similar was removed.
    When you are working in a team colleagues do have a valid point when asking about personal responsibility when they are covering and supporting people who are off with stress. I know that people have the most terrible personal problems in families-bereavement, terminal illness, mental illness in loved ones etc and we have to be supportive of these. I have, however worked with a number of people who go off at the slightest problem leaving others to pick up the pieces of planning, reports, curriculum developments etc to others. I had three babies under 5. I planned for them financially. I worked part time- this has impacted on my professional progress but that was my choice and I accepted it. There are thousands of women like me. This is the way things are.
    We are intelligent individuals and should be able to plan our lives with forethought.
    Of course you can get defensive and delete this post if you wish........

5. I can't remove posts so what on earth are you goin on about pollard? Also, everyones circumstances are different - I didn't plan for things that have happened in my life recently. How can you plan for the unexpected death of your partner you insane bloody woman. I am defensive as you haven't got a clue what's happening in my life!

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Actually nobody has a clue about what is happening in your life except you. Congratulating those who agree with you and lambasting those who have the temerity to question your life choices is not going to alter your personal circumstances one iota.
    You will do what you need to do, whether it is to stay on in teaching, go part-time or stay at home looking after your children, earning income either via the state or private means.
    Good luck with the future and all the best with the pregnancy and the birth of your third child.

7. I wonder if it's too late to get smugness in the 2012 Olympics? A gold medal contender for sure.