1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failure or Tactical Withdrawal?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by SpamFritter, Feb 21, 2011.

1. In September, I got a new job as an Assistant Head. Much rejoicing.
    Also in September, there was an addition to our family. Much rejoicing.
    In October, we had Ofsted. Stress, then much rejoicing.
    By Christmas, the Head had made it clear that my face didn't fit. No rejoicing. At all.
    I have worked 60, 70 and more hours a week - I barely get to see the children, my other half or have any kind of a life for myself - my immediate superior is happy with what I do, but the Head finds fault with absolutely everything (apart from my teaching - even he can't overrule Ofsted's judgement of Outstanding).
    Last week, the Head told me that he intends to reorganise the Senior Managers, and that I'll be shuffled out as it were by September (the joys of Academies) unless I somehow impress him.
    Had a chat with the other half, and instead of jumping through hoops (which I know will fail to impress the Head anyway, he's decided that nothing I do can be right) I'm now thinking of just chucking in the job and, from this September, going back to being a mainscale teacher - much less stress, chance to see the children of an evening, chance to enjoy my life again and do the things I've given up - I was contemplating doing a PhD, for example, and I haven't read a book since last summer.
    Is this a failure, or a tactical withdrawal, though? That's the question... I am casting it as the latter, but have nagging suspicions I'm the former.

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

YOur HT has failed. Failed to support you, failed to give you home work life balance, to protect your well being, to use your talents to the full.
    In a staff team there should be room for everyone, no matter what their strengths and weaknesses.
    Your HT is a twiblockgreeb and you owe it to yourself and family to find another HT who deserves you.

3. You havent failed. What could you possibly have done differently? I am in a similar situatio (no new additions, though!) and have asked myself this question over and over. It's an unfortunate and perhaps unlucky situation but by no means your fault. I would say it is most definitely tactical withdrawal, and is what I have opted for too.
    Good luck with your future, and enjoy your (new) family. You can work again later in life - you can't get your time back with them, ever x

4. Have you contacted your union? I may be very wrong, but this sounds like constructive dismissal.

5. Oh and in answer to your question, it doesn't matter - you do whatever is going to be best for you and your family.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My better half got an Assistant Headship one September, realised her face didn't fit within days of starting, and after many personality clashes with a heavy-handed HT left the post by Easter. She is now thriving and surviving doing her own thing as a freelance educator/trainer and has absolutely no regrets about her decision to bail out.

I also bailed out of a subject leader post due to clashes with HT and am now quite happy pootling along on Supply. There's a lot to be said for letting others make the decisions and saving your own energy and imagination for your real life outside teaching.

Good move - I wish you well with it.

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I am not bothered if it is failure or wisdom, I suspect you are the only person that cares. It is up to you to make your own assessment, which will inevitably be a bit of both.

8. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Go and spend time with your family. You are not a failure, the HT has failed to include a good teacher. Don't waste your time on them, give it to your family. I left an awful place - best move I ever made, there are loads of other things you can do! Good luck.

9. Surely the HT played a major role in your selection? I can't understand how they can then not support you in your new post. There's something not right here, so get out and look after yorself and your family.

10. I'll never understand why an HT would appoint then change their mind without allowing you time to settle in either. However one thing, based on the timing, that occurs to me is budget cuts?
    - HT suddenly thinks:
    "Oh no, my budget has been cut by £xxx. How can I save some money? I cannot make a teacher redundant, as I still need them to teach, but perhaps I can get rid of a leadership post and replace it with a different one?"
    "Who can I get rid of to save me this money...? Ah, that new Assistant head who's responsibilities can be divided out between other senior leaders or class teachers, and whose teaching responsibility can be covered by a substantially cheaper NQT..."
    Just my suspicious mind at work...[​IMG]

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It's not a failure. It's a reassessment of your priorities. You and your family have to be your first consideration.

12. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Do it. Enjoy your family. Head is a plonker. Don't over analyse. Life is way too short - especially where childhood is concerned.

13. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It sounds like keeping control of your own life. All the very best from me.

14. Thanks, all.
    Just goes to show how far my confidence has been shot that I'm in need of affirmation from random people on an internet forum...

Still. Much love.
    Time to draft a resignation letter. Oh, and get another job. [​IMG]
    SF
    X

15. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

Love the name SpamFritter by the way!
    My Dad always tells me the story of when I was 3 and wouldn't eat spam until he made it into Spam Fritters! Apparently I gobbled them up in no time.
    Good luck with your letter.
    I find these things tend to happen for a reason. Working 60 to 70 hour weeks and trying to please an impossible Head sounds like the recipe for a melt down! Enjoying the time spent with your family and people who appreciate you is by far the better option.

16. If cuts need to be made and the post is superfluous then they would make the post redundant ... no trickery needed

17. Do it the other way around