1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by whitesofa, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Need a bit of advice....
    Currently studying a masters and I am finding it hard to get motivated. It's not that I can't do it rather than with work pressures and health issues it seems like a mountain. I woke up at 4 this morning thinking about it and wondering if I should just give up and try to forget about it. Putting the cost aside (I don't even want to think about that !) perhaps it is best to just fail it and give up. I think one of the issues is that at this time of the year we are bombarded with parent evenings, extra help after school with the usual kids etc etc and even if I get this year done I have two more year (plus the expense) to go. Should I admit defeat and give up? It seems to always on the back of my mind and the next assignment is due in 3 days and I haven't started it or even the reading beforehand. It doesn't help that it is totally online and there is no paper reading material. The online tutorials are not at a time I can access due to me not being in the UK and listening back to them isn't much help either.
    Reading back I think I have given up, just seems like such a waste.

2. Need a bit of advice....
    Currently studying a masters and I am finding it hard to get motivated. It's not that I can't do it rather than with work pressures and health issues it seems like a mountain. I woke up at 4 this morning thinking about it and wondering if I should just give up and try to forget about it. Putting the cost aside (I don't even want to think about that !) perhaps it is best to just fail it and give up. I think one of the issues is that at this time of the year we are bombarded with parent evenings, extra help after school with the usual kids etc etc and even if I get this year done I have two more year (plus the expense) to go. Should I admit defeat and give up? It seems to always on the back of my mind and the next assignment is due in 3 days and I haven't started it or even the reading beforehand. It doesn't help that it is totally online and there is no paper reading material. The online tutorials are not at a time I can access due to me not being in the UK and listening back to them isn't much help either.
    Reading back I think I have given up, just seems like such a waste.

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Are you actually enjoying your studies? Sympathies: you do sound overwhelmed and it's horrible knowing an assignment's due and you haven't started it!
    Do you have a tutor you can talk to, especially about being unable to access the online tutorials?
    I feel for you - I'm doing my Level 6 Careers Diploma and trying to fit it in around full time work and self employment (that's why I'm still up).

4. When I have time to sit down and do it I quite enjoy it, the problem is when. Since getting up this morning I have started to read through some of the material then remembered that I had to finish marking a pile of books for later. The weekend are the obvious choice but I am usually quite tired and I do find that if I don't 'switch off' and go out and do something totally unrelated to work of any kind I struggle the following week at work....and that's what pays the bills. I am quite annoyed with myself as I was far ahead back in September and it has slipped enormously to this stupid place I am in now. I think part of the issue is looking ahead to this stretching over three year and the next 4k that I will have to spend when I am obviously not coping very well and organising my time properly. God I sound like one of the kids. Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

5. Hi whitesofa
    I understand your lack of motivation. However, I don't know whether giving up is the best thing for you, but have you considered requesting an extension citing your current situation?
    Easy for me to say, I know, but try not to see this as a failure, but if you can try and talk to someone at the university, your tutor perhaps, this might help.
    I am also abroad and working on my assignment, which is due next week, and currently staring at the computer screen trying to figure out the utter b*****cks that I've written, seemingly on something akin to having a high toxic content, and the heavy rewrite I'm now facing in my attempt to shoehorn it into something academic.
    The time management aspect is tricky, when months stretch ahead of you and then disappear, especially when working and having other commitments.
    Try to talk to someone to gain an extension and perhaps think about missing out the next 6 months and giving yourself a break between modules.
    Good luck

6. Hi, maybe you need to ask yourself - 'do I need a Masters?' and then make your decisions made on the answer, of course it also depends on how much you've already invested both time and money. I got mine 12 years ago now and whilst it was very satisfying and made me feel more confident, I have never needed it for a job. Only you know why you are doing this but if it's costing 4k and making you miserable, maybe the sensible decision is to say no I don't really need this.

7. Well I thought about an extension and the other half said that even if I did get it done I would probably find myself in the same position for the next one.

I did sign up to help me gain a better job/promotion even though I am happy in my job. I also thought it would keep me busy but didn't realise to what extent. I have just got in from work and it is after 7pm and this is usual. I think I am going to admit defeat and give up. Yes I suppose it is making me miserable. Thanks for taking the time to reply

8. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I felt like giving up at times... and I was studying during the school holidays with face-to-face sessions so at least it was social - I cannot imagine doing that sort of work online and on my own. I took a long break in which I considered I had "finished" as much as I was going to. Suddenly inspiration hit me one day, and I was able to do th edissertation and complete it within the time scale. So, it might have taken me ten years to actually finish, but I did it in the end. And I was chuffed that I had, eventually, done so.
    Deferring seems like a jolly good idea to me! Pick it up later when/if you feel so inclined.

9. bed

bed New commenter

Never occurred to me to request a deferral - bum!
    oh well - c'est la vie!
    Good luck with the request - hope you get what you need
    bed x

10. Ok, disaster. I get it done in two weeks or they transfer 30% into the same cost next year..that is £580 to do it all again

11. So actually they give up on me I get 30% on next years fees paid. Aka do it again. And pay the same price minus 30% next year. I'm not sure what to say, I haven't been lazy or idle. I not am just sure what to say?

12. Maybe I am just lazy and idle and do nothing other
    Than drink beer and do nothing.
    Bless me the time :)

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

On two occasions when I was on the verge of giving up on courses that I'd embarked upon, the wonderful Mrs MSB told me to stop grizzling and get my rear in gear. I did, and completing both courses helped me to advance my career (and income) in a favourable direction. It's one of the many reasons why I married her ;-)