1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failing QTS tests

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lucyharg92, Aug 23, 2012.

1. You need to be in the same position to understand the barrier it makes

2. Also the person who has written the tests ....is sometimes explaining in a weird way not the normal way we may read a question.

3. Hi Fawziya, sorry to hear you didn't make it through. If you want to try again then I recommend the approach I used to get myself up to speed to pass:

I paid approx. £20 for a package online which included a tonne of practise tests and videos which set out the most efficient way of doing the calculations and included some helpful tricks and tips. Of course, you don't need to pay, but I found it helpful to have all this info in one place.

Practise these timed tests with the new techniques you have learnt to solve the problems over and over until you score enough marks to put you comfortably over the pass mark. This will help if/when there are any distractions during the real test that might set you back a mark or two.

I went from failing my practise tests the first 15 or so times I did them to passing them after I practised. I was then ready to do the real thing and I passed first time. I have a maths GCSE at a good grade, but this test is not about your knowledge of how to do a method, it is testing your mental agility, which quickly declines after you stop doing maths regularly. As a previous poster has indicated, thinking fast is an important characteristic of a teacher. And moreover, the pace of your maths lessons requires you to be able to quickly perform mental calculations in order to assess whether the children's knowledge and understanding is correct.

Good luck when you are able to retake.

sabram86 likes this.