1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failing QTS tests

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lucyharg92, Aug 23, 2012.

1. On a side note, whilst currently working as a teaching assistant in primary school with a year 3 class I noticed that all of the children were split into groups for numeracy and literacy classes. Groups which were then lead by teaching assistants. I then had the privilage to witness literacy classes lead by teaching assistants for whom english was a second language.
    I was shocked to discover this assistant teaching spellings for 'words' such as 'fiercest' and regularly making huge grammer mistakes throughout.
    Surely if we want to ensure that children, especially in primary schools, are taught appropriately then more than just teachers need to have sat these tests - and moreover perhaps those tests really do very little to reflect the numeracy and literacy standards that are actually reaching the classroom anyway!

2. StarbabyCat

StarbabyCat New commenter

I have also used an Oxford comma in the tests and have trouble with them!

I failed my numeracy today by one mark. I fell apart in the mental part. So gutted as it's so difficult to revise in term time.

3. Snoopy1975

Snoopy1975 New commenter

Don't be disheartened!

Practise the tests over and over. Use headphones and get used to listening REALLY carefully during the first reading so that you get a few extra seconds whilst she's reading the question for the second time. That made all the difference to me and I passed. Getting used to that part, however scary, will get you enough next time.

Good luck x

4. If you cant pass first go then you shouldn't be teaching IMO.

I hadn't even done the practice ones and passed.

Hell i didn't even know there was a calculator on the computer on the maths one.

5. anyone know if it is possible to get your mark?

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Yes, we know.

It is not possible.

7. StarbabyCat

StarbabyCat New commenter

Only if you fail! The print out tells you how many you fail by- hence, I knew I failed by one mark!

8. what a load of ****.

Would we just tell kids "you've passed, congrats" ?
    a score would be nice.

9. that's great!

10. PaulDG

These are not intended to be formative tests - they're intended to be (and they actually are) trivial tests of very basic maths and literacy designed to screen out of employment in the state sector those who would embarrass the school, the profession and MPs by sending letters to parents full of very basic grammatical and arithmetic errors.
    Every graduate - indeed any adult who actually showed up to school for 11 years - should pass these with ease.

11. I suppose, but I just like getting 100% in tests dammit!

12. If you are dyslexic you are entitled to extra time for literacy.

13. To PaulDG - I have come across this thread researching to help my daughter who is doing a PGCE in History having got a 2:1 History degree and B at GCSE Maths. She sufferd Meningitis and Scepticemia in 2008 which left her with numeracy and memory difficulties - she is the best Trainee History teacher on her course (Tutors words not mine) and has been offered a job already. She is struggling to get to the standard to pass the QTS Maths because of her disability - your earlier comments and attitude that "if you can't pass it you shouldn't teach" is outrageous given that I guess you are a Teacher or trainee teacher. In what way would this philosophy meet the requiements of giving people an equal opportunity who have suffered some disadvantage? I cam e to this site looking for help and am disappointed to find such an attitude.

14. PaulDG

Before your daughter's unfortunate illness, can you honestly say you'd have been happy for her to have been taught by someone who is not sufficiently literate or numerate to pass these basic tests?
    Honestly?
    At 11, in the run up to KS2 SATs, you'd have said, "sure their books are full of spelling errors but that's OK because it's important the teacher should have the opportunity.."
    At 16 you'd have said, "sure their history teacher's comments in their books have spelling errors, but I'm sure that won't matter and my daughter would never copy those errors when doing her GCSEs".
    At 18, "OK, my daughter's teacher is poor at numeracy and spelling and my daughter copies her because she's her favourite teacher but I think this is a good thing because it is promoting equal opportunities".
    Because even if you do feel that way, many parents do not.

15. kazzmaniandevil

kazzmaniandevil New commenter

Sorry, I cannot sit back any longer. Paul D - do one will you. Crawl back into the self obsessed righteous hole that you created for yourself. Your advice is really not helpful.

16. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

The requirements for a teacher are pretty absolute - that includes literacy and numeracy. Specific groups, quite rightly, should be allowed extra time, but we can't pick and choose which teaching standards to pass.
    I'm deeply irritated when a pupil says something "Doesn't count" or is something they "Will never use" in their education - Teachers shouldn't be falling into that trap either.

17. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

It doesn't mean you can't teach, just means you have to wait longer to get into teaching! Which is really unfortunate.

But remember, use what education gave you! You went through Primary and Secondary School to get at least some basic skills in literacy and numeracy and prove to them and yourself, all those years were not worthless!!!

You'll be okay, don't worry about it hun!

PS: Everyone, I wouldn't even bother with that 'Paul' guy. He is not helpful what so ever, and he's just a **** to be perfectly honest. I utterly feel ashamed and embarrassed that a fellow teacher like the rest of us have such an ignorant approach to teaching and cannot fathom his logic behind his posts. Feel sorry for the kids his teaching and hopefully he does not pass such stupid opinions. Paul, you definitely need to get your head out of your own **** and see the sun mate.

18. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

Actually, since September 2012, your training provider is informed of your mark and number of attempts when checking that your results. Whether they would be willing to pass that information onto you is another matter, of course.

19. Every post I've seen from him on this forum has been based on common sense. The logic behind his posts is that if you are unable to demonstrate basic literacy and numeracy then teaching might not be the right career. It might be unpalatable to those who have failed the tests, but it doesn't change the fact that they really are very easy.

20. I agree with this ^^^^ - PaulDG on the student forum is always helpful and has good advice. OK, so you don't agree with him on this point, VeronicAmb, but that doesn't mean he is ignorant. I for one agree with PaulDG on this matter, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't resort to name calling.