1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failing QTS tests

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lucyharg92, Aug 23, 2012.

1. I'm due to take my first attempt at both literacy and numeracy QTS skills test,

say if i fail this, and my chances at resists, what happens? i understand you can't retake them but does this mean i can't teach?

i'm going into my 3rd and final year of primary teaching undergrad degree if anyone was wondering.

Lucy

2. heras

heras New commenter

If you fail all three attempts (first attempt & two resits) then you will be given a 24 month ban from taking the tests again.

3. if that happened, would i have to wait 2 years to then teach?

4. The 2 year ban is ridiculous. Does anyone know the purpose of this? It seems crazy that if you are a good student in all other respects, you are prevented from teaching just because of this. We've all got maths and English GCSE after all.

My maths is fine but because I am dyslexic and my processing is slow I am worried that I might not be able to complete the numeracy test in the given time.

5. How did you apply for extra assistance? What sort of assistance did you get? I am also wondering if I could get a scripted test. My maths in not that bad and in my practices (written down with no time limit) I am averaging 90% but I am seriously slow!

Another point I would like to make is that I have a job where I use maths frequently but I have no problems as I always use a calculator or a computer programme (there are loads on the internet) to work out things for me. In this day and age there is a way around everything.

Maybe I am panicking too much!!!

6. Not sure if it depends on your training provider but I phoned 0845 450 8867 (found the number again very easily on the internet and also found the email address tdasa@pearson.com. The TDA has set up ?standard? special arrangements, and details of these can be found on their website at http://www.tda.gov.uk/skillstests/specialarrangements.aspx.)

7. 3 attempts?
    This is silly. Some people havent done this kind of stuff in YEARS and can not be expected to know some of it and pass it in 3 attempts, in my opinion.
    I did mine a year ago and it took me 6 times to pass my numeracy, and I know people that have taken some 11 times. You need GCSE's in Maths and English to become a teacher so why does it matter??
    Its like you can be fabulous in a classroom and then they wont let you become a teacher until 2 years later because you failed these tests? I dont understand why they dont just get you to pay for them if you fail more than 3 times, it would make more sense righttt?
    Un needed stress!!

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not for primary teachers - possession of the GCSEs in English and maths, but lack of even the most basic of skills in these subjects, makes such people unfit to teach small people.
    As a secondary teacher who has been seeing children come up in Y7 with alleged level 4 or even 5 but not having been taught things like the use of the apostrophe - and then seeing many people on TES complaining about these skills tests, yet don't know how to use it themselves, I've become a big fan of ensuring trainee teachers pass these tests.

9. Then you practice before you do the test. If you're not good, you go and make yourself good (or good enough) - Anything else is an excuse.
    But this job extends beyond the classroom. A lot of the literacy and numeracy extends to things you do day to day in the job - letters, tracking progress and so on.

10. The Skills tests are a legal requirement and not having themmeans that you would not be able to gain QTS. From next year, not having passed them will mean that you cannot start training.We can argue about the why and wherefore, but the government have this in place and that's that for now.
    That said, of course Gove did remove the need for any academy or free school to employ a person with QTS as a teacher, which sort of undermines their argument I feel.
    The Sage

11. Thanks for the info :)

12. Exactly! I can see Academies taking on trainees that have failed the tests. It would be super cheap for them.

Anyway, most teachers never had to take these tests. They are fairly recent aren't they?

13. The computerised versions of the tests have been around for 12 years and before that there were paper based versions for a while. So 'most' qualified teachers will have done a form of skills test.

14. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

Don't agree with comments that because you haven't done this for years you should have more than three attempts to pass. It's been 11 years since I last did maths at school myself, I've been teaching KS1 where most of this doesn't come up (although not saying you don't need good maths subject knowledge to teach KS1, quite the opposite), and the practice test for some reason has boxes over some of the multi choice answers so I got a couple wrong because I actually couldn't see the answers - and I passed. I passed first time when I was training after doing the practices and was interested to see whether I could still do it.
    The tests aren't difficult and certainly if you intend to teach primary you need to have this level of skill to have sufficient understanding to pass onto the children, regardless of whether they are learning this content or not.

15. Hi All
    If you get in a panic with the mental maths section of the test check out:
    http://www.qtsnumeracytest.co.uk/qtsnumeracytest-mental-maths.htm
    If you are rusty with stats and applying arithmetic check out:
    http://www.qtsnumeracytest.co.uk/qtsnumeracytest-stats-applying-arithmetic.htm
    David

trinitori likes this.
  16. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

There is no mental maths section!

You are provided with a pencil and paper or a mini whiteboard. You are not required to do anything "in your head"!

17. True! I guess it is referred to as "mental" because there is no calculator.

18. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

But many people fear that part of the test because they don't know they'll be allowed pen and paper - they try to do it mentally, find it too difficult and panic about the whole test.

It is not "mental"; it's pen-and-paper.

That part is really very easy. If you can't do it you should never have been allowed to do A levels let alone a degree. (and you certainly have no business in a classroom).

(I accept the second part is more tricky because many have done no statistics since leaving school.)

alexandrawest55 likes this.
  19. Please Paul, I think you misunderstand the panic of maths for some people. What is easy for some is not easy for others. This worry sets the panic in motion and for something as crucial as this test for PGCE students which can have a huge impact and effect. I am not brilliant at maths but neither am I rubbish but my confidence can easily be shattered by a supossidly easy test. Comments such as "If you can't do it you should never have been allowed to do A-levels" or "you have no business in a classroom" are neither supportive or constructive. Please if you wish to help leave those thoughts to yourself and offer advice on calming techniques.

20. Who cares you don't even have to be a qualified teacher anymore to teach surly this makes the tests pointless along with qualifying to be a teacher? (Just to state I was being facetious)

Also I passed English, Maths and ICT first time last year, one after another and I'm Dyslexic. You just have to practice even "learn" something again and get on with it. Remember your students do a lot more when it comes to taking 10 different GCSE's all at the same time!