1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Failing QTS - Options

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Semm, May 6, 2020.

1. Semm

Semm New commenter

Hi All,

I am a mature MFL trainee who started a SCITT programme in September 2019.

My second placement was quite difficult and was of course cut short by the Covid-19 crisis, which meant I lost the last 9 weeks of my placement.

My mentor, who was absent for most of the last four weeks of my placement and only observed me twice in that time, has written an overly negative and imbalanced report on me, stating that I was not on track to meet any of the 6 teaching standards.

My first placement was largely positive, although a couple of issues were raised

The result of this is that my SCITT has told me that I am not being recommended for QTS and I can either defer from the course or submit my evidence and take it to the QTS validation panel who will probably uphold the original decision.

My SCITT tutor is suggesting that deferring would be the best option (as they never fail people apparently) but I am not convinced there is much difference between deferring and being failed if I wish to begin another course at some point. I feel that my mentor's report is unfair and would like to challenge this as I really don't have much to lose.

I would just like to gather people's opinions on the above, about what my options are, and what the situation would be if I did want to apply for another PGCE.

Many thanks

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You should check with your SCITT what deferring means. It may just mean that they will give you another placement once schools return, which would take the place of your second placement - it might mean you can qualify by Christmas, rather than have to start all over again.

You could challenge your mentor's report, but the problem is going to be that someone needs to be able to say "yes, semm would have got there in a few weeks", and between their absence and the covid-19 events, it doesn't sound like that's possible. You might be able to challenge some aspects of the report, but it's unlikely you can produce enough evidence of meeting all the standards, given the lack of observation. It's unfortunate, and not your fault, but I think you may just have to join the long list of people whose career has been disrupted by this crisis.

3. Semm

Semm New commenter

Thanks for your replay Frustrum - I have just recently found out that the DfE are intending to come up with arrangements for students in my situation - so, I will sit and wait!

4. tkm81

tkm81 New commenter

I’m in a similar position.. bad 2nd placement and rated inadequate despite evidence to the contrary.. never had my moderation lesson or anyone see my files due to Covid.. let’s see what happens!

5. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

Any good course will offer another placement so you can try to complete, this should be more true than ever in the current circumstances.

tkm81 likes this.
  6. tkm81

tkm81 New commenter

Certainly hope so!